• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Finished masking the N numbers today and painted. First two coats of the 7AC yellow were sprayed on to act as bleeder coat. Next a few light coats of 7AC orange were dusted on, finally a wet gloss coat was applied. After 3 hours hours the masking materials were removed and the areas where the orange bleed onto the yellow were cleaned up the isopropyl alcohol. The problem with masking the numbers is it is almost impossible to seal the little void where two layers of fine line tape overlap, when doing these military style numbers these many of these types of voids. You really can't seal the voids on top of the fabric like you can of a solid surface. Noy sure how effective the yellow bleed coats were but it all cleaned up nice with the isopropyl alcohol. Didn't get any photos of the final product since I had to run to the grandsons flag football game. Tomorrow I can assemble the wing and think about flying. Have friends visiting over the weekend so not is going to happen.

IMG_3291.jpg
IMG_3293.jpg
IMG_3294.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Traveling to the CORKS scale contest this weekend in Columbus OH. The rules state you must have a pilot figure if the pilot is visible in the full scale airplane. Used 1/2" parachute buckles and 1/2" black nylon strap to this I Flt Talles figure on the front seat. Must be removable as the batteries are located under the front seat. The last contest I had an unpainted 30% pilot bust mounted on a block of foam head in place with #64 rubber bands, like a brought back those days flying a Sig Kadet!
I have a meeting at the Butler field tomorrow for our upcoming scale contest in September. I hope to get a little practice in before the meeting as I haven't flown since the previous scale contest two weeks ago.

IMG_3438.jpg

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
I have decided to enter the Champ into the scale judging competition at the up coming NASA Fall Classic event in less than three weeks. There are a few changes that i need to make to improve the scale details. This change is to the Cub Hub spinner. The Champ spinner is quite small as shown in the photo below. Looking at the three view the spinner and propeller are about the same thickness. My propeller is 1 1/8" thick while the stock Cub Hub is 2" long. Measurements determined I can take 5/8" off the back which will make smaller in diameter and shorter. First order of operation was the set in up in the four jaw and make the register counter bore deeper. Next it will be turned around, polish out the marks from the chuck, and part off the unwanted material.

5331107.jpg
IMG_3445.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
The spinner came out nice, much more scale looking. We'll see how the judges pick it apart because it is still a little larger than scale. It looks like the prop hubs on on models are larger than the full scale props so it going to look OK I hope! Polished with 220, 400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 5000, then compound all in the lathe before parting, took less than 10 minutes.

IMG_3447.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
More scale details. Made a pitot tube assembly out of 3/32" aluminum TIG filler wire and a few piece of brass sheet. I drilled the velocity tube and put a taper it to make it look like a tube. I think I will center punch the static tube and color the marks with black the simulate holes. Also turned two snap vents that go on the boot cowl. Everything needs painted 7ac Yellow. Also shown is the full scale pitot tube from the Univar web site that I used to scale the model. The snap vents pop into a 3 1/4" on the full scale and are used to cool the interior, mine will not be snapping and remain in the closed position!
Still to add are the carburetor backfire relief vent, fuel drain tube and wing tie down rings. More research!
IMG_3448.jpg
IMG_3449.jpg
u3-535__98805.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
The span vents didn't look right based on the three view so I pulled the enlarged three view down from the rafters and measured. The measurement indicate it should be 3/4" in diameter rather than the 1 1/4" so two more were made. I plan to attach these with two sided carpet tape. Right or wrong the plane needs to match the documentation provided to the judges.
The hold downs were made from 1/8" KS brass tube, these were bend using a DuBro bender. The tubes were annealed three times during the bending process.
Looks like the backfire relief will just be a hole in the cowl behind the air cleaner.
I notice there is an aluminum trim tab that I need to add to the rudder as well, more work.

IMG_3450.jpg
IMG_3453.jpg