• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The spinner came out nice, much more scale looking. We'll see how the judges pick it apart because it is still a little larger than scale. It looks like the prop hubs on on models are larger than the full scale props so it going to look OK I hope! Polished with 220, 400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 5000, then compound all in the lathe before parting, took less than 10 minutes.

View attachment 122840

Next step is a MicroMesh kit.

Although that kit stops at 8000 grit. My kit goes to 12,000 grit then the polishing creams……..

TonyHallo

150cc
Put the yellow color on the parts. Even these small parts took over an hour to paint. The wings are back together and in the aircraft carrier. I added the backfire tube and the fuel drain tube to the cowl and need to reinstall. I decided to drain the oil catch bottle while the cowl is off. I think I have everything shown on the three view on the plane now. Also relocated the entrance step to the correct location, not sure why I mounted where I did? Wonder what by beverage of choice is?

IMG_3454.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I had discussion with Bill (AKA Gorilla Toast) and Mike Barbee at the scale event last week. Someone ask Mike about his landing during the Romania FAI contest and he said the secret is firm landing gear. I have 50lb/inch springs in my gear and both Mike and Bill felt it is too soft. After some discussion and thought I decided to see if I can find a spring to fit inside the current spring. I found these springs that will double the rate to 100 pounds per inch. I have a selection of springs that I bought while making the gear so I might try something in the 80 pounds per inch range today. I do struggle making nice landings with this plane and I hope this is the secret.

IMG_3456.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Flying RC planes would be an awesome hobby if you didn’t have to land……. I buy used props for my 120cc planes just because I have to land.