• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Flew four flights today, allowed the engine to cool between each flight. Each time after cooling the engine starts on the first flip and runs great, I tried to restart after the first flight, no dice. It takes about 10 and 1/2 minutes to fly my routine, then wait about 50-60 minutes. Today the winds and temperature provided rather quick cooling, building season is in the air! Might get out tomorrow for more testing. The NASA fall classic is a week away.

TonyHallo

150cc
Thanks Nick! I still need to terminate the wires other than that it is ready to go. $17 total. Had the 3S 2200 battery on hand from the baby Cherokee several years ago. I was surprised to find all three cells were within .02 volts of each other, might be 6 or 7 years old.
Had a hard landing today in high wind, bends the left axle, making a new one. I'm using 1/4" grade 8 bolts for axles, bend several already! Guess I need to learn how to land!

IMG_3474.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Good reports!! Time to heat treat your axels or get some titanium rods!! Are your tires inflatable?

TonyHallo

150cc
I'm using grade 8 1/4" bolts 4" long to fashion my axles, 130000 psi yield. The wheels are Dubro 5 1/2" foam tires, the wheels are very close to full scale tire proportions. The gear struts are 3/8" x .065" 4130 tube. I have a 3/8" spacer between the strut and the wheel. This space was left to add brake drums in the future. The threaded area is removed to make the axle, the axle is inserted about 2" into the strut and retained with a 1/8"roll pin. Looking at the full scale photo below I'm thinking that I might make the strut longer and eliminate the axle all together.
While the wheels were off I decided to bush the wheels with 9/32" OD K&S brass tube, the tubes were trimmed flush with the wheel in the photo below

Landing Strut.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Flew maybe 6 flights today, spent two flights trying to get the 2 wheel landing down pat, gave up and when back to 3 point landings. The fans work awesome. I have eliminated the aileron rudder mix and use the rudder for turning while using opposite aileron to control the bank. Changed all other other mixes I had with throttle to rudder or elevator. Hopefully my scores will be better. Entering the Champ into the 513 scale judging this week end, will see how it does. I think there were a few cancelations to NASA Fall Classic so there might not be many contestants entered. Got one more day to practice before the event on Friday. Six days in a row at the airfield, what a life! The rear end when out on my 2003 GMC Safari Aircraft Carrier, had to borrow a trailer and a SUV from my sister and her husband. Thank you Annette and Danny. I think the only they haul in the trailer are motorized bar stools!
Found a used rear end at the local salvage yard, was happy that they still such an old vehicle at their yard. I'll swap it out next week.

IMG_3487.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My Expedition is in for service so I switched to my mostly retired ‘03 F350 Superduty. Recent engine work (injectors, EGR valve, etc) has woken it up and it now has excessive horsepower. I’m having a blast zipping around in the 23’ long, 9,000 lb beast. One of my best vehicle purchases ever.

Nothing wrong with 20+ year old, long ago paid off vehicles……

BalsaDust

My Expedition is in for service so I switched to my mostly retired ‘03 F350 Superduty. Recent engine work (injectors, EGR valve, etc) has woken it up and it now has excessive horsepower. I’m having a blast zipping around in the 23’ long, 9,000 lb beast. One of my best vehicle purchases ever.

Nothing wrong with 20+ year old, long ago paid off vehicles……

We are calling an 03 mostly retired, what does that make my daily driven 96 ranger? lol