• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m Going/Went Flying Thread

BalsaDust

Took the girls out to the field yesteday for some fun. Had the intentions of letting both get there first bit of stick time with the trainer. Sadly I made the first flight and decided some high speed passes would be fun. Well second pass one aileron started to flutter and then leave the chat. Got the plane safely back on the ground but its day was done. apparently 9 gram servos are not the task of holding together on a plane with 900 watts of power.
453337626_1149962802758857_6808326093614022026_n.jpg
453223039_1873074453197506_2734379364251819924_n.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Just a wee little 9g! Probably not a tower Pro MG! LOL.
Reminds me of the time I was watching a club member do high speed passes with a Super Sportster and I heard it, I then quickly asked everyone else if they heard it and during his next pass it made the sound and promptly EXPLODED the right wing. Talk about intense. Flutter is no joke.

BalsaDust

Just a wee little 9g! Probably not a tower Pro MG! LOL.
Reminds me of the time I was watching a club member do high speed passes with a Super Sportster and I heard it, I then quickly asked everyone else if they heard it and during his next pass it made the sound and promptly EXPLODED the right wing. Talk about intense. Flutter is no joke.
Yeah the 9 grams where fine on the previous setup but the T-motor was too much for it. Theta 921's should be in for it by the end of the week.

TonyHallo

150cc
Traveled to the Wally's Squadrons 33th Annual fly-in yesterday in Summersville WV (Speed Trap Capital of USA). It's a 3 hour drive for me left at 5:00 am and returned home 7:00 pm. Great day and great weather. Wednesday is the first official day of the event but many folks show up the Sunday before. The event runs through Saturday. Would have stayed over but I have tickets to see Bruce Springsteen tonight and plan to travel to Alliance OH for the "Warbirds over Alliance " (They allow Classics as well!) fun fly this weekend. There is a wide range of planes at the event and spend most of the day watching. And yes there was a swell looking Champ there.
I had a dead stick on the first flight ironically performing an Overshoot maneuver, the same one I messed up at Bob Evans Farm event. Thankfully the runway is long so I just landed well before the end. Engine quit while advancing the throttle. This is the second time this year I had to richen the low end, don't if I can attribute it to break in or not, the high end is good so I' guessing the screen is not plugged. I richen the low about 1/16" and it ran fine for the next two flights.

IMG_3432 (1).jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Traveled to the Wally's Squadrons 33th Annual fly-in yesterday in Summersville WV (Speed Trap Capital of USA). It's a 3 hour drive for me left at 5:00 am and returned home 7:00 pm. Great day and great weather. Wednesday is the first official day of the event but many folks show up the Sunday before. The event runs through Saturday. Would have stayed over but I have tickets to see Bruce Springsteen tonight and plan to travel to Alliance OH for the "Warbirds over Alliance " (They allow Classics as well!) fun fly this weekend. There is a wide range of planes at the event and spend most of the day watching. And yes there was a swell looking Champ there.
I had a dead stick on the first flight ironically performing an Overshoot maneuver, the same one I messed up at Bob Evans Farm event. Thankfully the runway is long so I just landed well before the end. Engine quit while advancing the throttle. This is the second time this year I had to richen the low end, don't if I can attribute it to break in or not, the high end is good so I' guessing the screen is not plugged. I richen the low about 1/16" and it ran fine for the next two flights.

View attachment 122801
Wow looks like they have a great turnout. :big_yes:

TonyHallo

150cc
The flight line was always busy during the day but never overly crowded. Very enjoyable day. Folks in attendance thought it was a little light, I don't know this my second visit to the event.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Rain stopped me from attending Joe Nall the one day that I had open this year. I like to go once every five years or so. I get invites to other big events in state and out but never get around to it.

TonyHallo

150cc
Heading out to Barber Airport in Alliance OH this morning for an abbreviated Warbirds Over Alliance event. The event is canceled on Sunday and rain is coming latter today. Looks like the wind is 7 to 14 MPH so I don't how much flying I will get in, maybe more BS than flying. It's about 90 minute ride so I hope to leave at 0730. The CD is a friend so I want to support him as best I can. Last year was the first and he's hoping to get the event up and running as an annual event.