• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Played around with the 12s set up the last couple of evenings on the extra. Being this my first 12s...I have found that wire size and length are critical to optimizing performance. I installed dual XT60 connectors to run the 6S packs in series instead of the adaptor I had previously made. This greatly reduced resistance and now the system swings the 20x10 falcon carbon with out shut downs. I also replaced the speed controller wires with higher strand count 8awg wire. The little bullet connector between the two XT60 connectors is the "Anti-spark" connection. One of the two packs has the female (anti-spark) connector soldered to the positive balance lead. It actually works and eliminates the plasma arc completely when hooking up the second pack.

1212161719-00.jpg
1212161720-00.jpg
1212161721-00.jpg
1212161721-01.jpg
1212161722-00.jpg

Alky6

150cc
Played around with the 12s set up the last couple of evenings on the extra. Being this my first 12s...I have found that wire size and length are critical to optimizing performance. I installed dual XT60 connectors to run the 6S packs in series instead of the adaptor I had previously made. This greatly reduced resistance and now the system swings the 20x10 falcon carbon with out shut downs. I also replaced the speed controller wires with higher strand count 8awg wire. The little bullet connector between the two XT60 connectors is the "Anti-spark" connection. One of the two packs has the female (anti-spark) connector soldered to the positive balance lead. It actually works and eliminates the plasma arc completely when hooking up the second pack.
I like it! Very clean. Interesting the voltage drop is that significant in a short run. Though, what kind of current you pulling?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I like it! Very clean. Interesting the voltage drop is that significant in a short run. Though, what kind of current you pulling?

With the 6374 192kv - 91 amps.

With the 6374 149kv - 79 amps.

The 149kv motor seems to do better but does not have the top end the 192 has. It also has a couple of more minutes running time.

Alky6

150cc
With the 6374 192kv - 91 amps.

With the 6374 149kv - 79 amps.

The 149kv motor seems to do better but does not have the top end the 192 has. It also has a couple of more minutes running time.
I would not have expected those results you obtained with the voltage losses. Will file that away for some future event. How do you like the e-power vs. gas?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Creative foam and CA, only way to go on baffles!
Thanks Terry I remember that video it sure is easier than what I did. But there is one problem, tryed to find that foam you recommend but it is not available in Canada at 6mm. Will pickup some next time I am down in the states and do it the way you demonstrate in the video.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I would not have expected those results you obtained with the voltage losses. Will file that away for some future event. How do you like the e-power vs. gas?

The voltage drop on the packs was excessive using just the adaptor and a single XT60 to the speed control. Wiring two XT60 connectors in series with 8awg wire really improved the voltage from dropping excessively causing the speed control to shut down. The 149kv motor further aided in lowering amp draw at wot.

I really miss my gassers. My 60cc Edge was my favorite to fly and my DA120 EF 104 was raw and wicked (really to much plane for me and what I like to do:rolleyes:.lol).
Have had great success with 50 class electrics (60+" wingspans). The 12s 78" pilot extra 330sc won't fly for a bit but once I do get it up and see how the flight times are I can better answer your question. I am spending a small fortune on Rx meds:concern: right now and have toned down my RC activity a great deal:(.

Worked on my 93" AJ Laser, that will be finding its prior home, again soon. Got a repair kit from Tim at AJA. I have known Tim and Andrew when I flew in 1 pattern contest back in 2000, with a Tipo, in Sportsman.

I didnt want to cut up the new engine box parts, but I decided that it would be best to atleast use new sides, to help set the firewall incidence. Cut a couple of filler pieces, and will glue them in over the next 2 nites. Epoxy will take a little time to dry, since it is about 65F in my shop.

Plus, had a real good interview down by the airport. It would be a Maintenance Team Lead position on 2nd shift. I will take 2nd over 3rd, any day of the week. Talking like a $2/hr increase of the base pay for being a team lead. I'll take that, as it will basically be a latteral move for me, pay wise. Plus, no more heavy thumb that is being placed on me, where Im at currently. No more asking to work on equipment (which is quite dumb, in my book). No more telling where Im going, what Im doing. Just go do it and be done with it.

Last edited: