• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Cool Jetpainter, interesting stuff. I wanted to make myself a couple more cowls before I hand the mold over to Fibertech so today I tried a couple. Fist one was laid up with satin cloth, and it was immediately noticeable that it did not have enough structural integrity so I pulled it from the mold early. On the second one for today I went back to my old tried and true process but mixed in a little powdered graphite to give it a black color. This will allow me to really see the surface fresh out of the mold.. I've been sanding a little and cleaning up the mold with each pull. I'm super super happy with this right now. Very little body work to do before painting.View attachment 1894
View attachment 1895
Freaking gorgeous!!!

tylerzx9r

100cc
Man, after these pics, and instructional posts, Who wouldn't want one of these awesome birds? Terry, have you thought any further on how you are going to do the cowl venting yet?:confused??:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Man, after these pics, and instructional posts, Who wouldn't want one of these awesome birds? Terry, have you thought any further on how you are going to do the cowl venting yet?:confused??:

Absolutely, but they are small and detailed so it will be a task. There are two options: 1 - Make a mold and lay them up with very fine fiberglass cloth and then graft this assembly onto the cowl. The other option that I don't care for as much but would work is to make a plug and vacuum form them out of PETG to be grafted onto the cowl. Few reasons I don't care for this idea. I'll do what I can though as I also have ideas for different vent shapes and sizes that I could make and offer for other planes.

The side vents are easy.....those are from taildragger RC and look cool as well as are highly functional!

Attachments

• _DSC0214.JPG
    _DSC0214.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 256

tylerzx9r

100cc
Thanks! I was thinking it would be cool to have a mold, have them laid up with glass (as you suggested for several reasons) and allow them to be sold with the kits as an option to the buyer for installation. I personally dig em', but I know some people surely do not..... just my thoughts. I am interested in what you decide to do!:attaboy:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, and Rick, the Spies Hecker spray poly worked great over the sanded epoxy resin. No problems at all. I even tried scraping a spot to check the adhesion and it passed with flying colors.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, and Rick, the Spies Hecker spray poly worked great over the sanded epoxy resin. No problems at all. I even tried scraping a spot to check the adhesion and it passed with flying colors.

Cool Jetpainter, I'm curious what you are doing to that "Jug" cowl for your scratch build. I hope you will show us!

The LAW is CNC'ing up some control horns and I cut the wood blocks for them. I'd like to sell these as a kit separately, and have actually already sold a few kits to people. Maybe, just maybe I'll include a kit with the first few Vipers sold;)
_DSC0227.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0225.JPG
    _DSC0225.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 250
  • _DSC0226.JPG
    _DSC0226.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 270
  • _DSC0228.JPG
    _DSC0228.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 262
  • _DSC0229.JPG