• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

tylerzx9r

100cc
The weight is awesome! I noticed a little micro balloons on one of your posts about the engine box, is that a helpful gap filler, or were you using that as a strengthener? I tried to find the post in a hurry, but didn't see anything about it. I apologize in advance if I missed it.:msn_slap:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
The weight is awesome! I noticed a little micro balloons on one of your posts about the engine box, is that a helpful gap filler, or were you using that as a strengthener? I tried to find the post in a hurry, but didn't see anything about it. I apologize in advance if I missed it.:msn_slap:

No Problem Tyler. You are probably referring to the following posts:
Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Since I did this build with medium CA I used the following process:
- Apply glue and clamp parts.
- After set for a few minutes I chased the joints on both sides with medium and let soak in. Small amount of kicker only as needed.
- In areas where stress will be present I applied microballoons to the second step above right after applying glue. This forms a fillet and makes the joints VERY strong. With a couple of test parts it proved to be slightly stronger than wood glue joints.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
No Problem Tyler. You are probably referring to the following posts:

Since I did this build with medium CA I used the following process:
- Apply glue and clamp parts.
- After set for a few minutes I chased the joints on both sides with medium and let soak in. Small amount of kicker only as needed.
- In areas where stress will be present I applied microballoons to the second step above right after applying glue. This forms a fillet and makes the joints VERY strong. With a couple of test parts it proved to be slightly stronger than wood glue joints.

so... you applied microballoons to the wet medium CA ?? Briallent !!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
:rolleyes:Thanks Terry, good to know! Thanks for also including all the tricks an tips on your posts!

No problem, I've used microballoons forever while building. Although the process of using it with plywood is new to me. Flyrcjoe and I have been chatting offline quite a bit and he got me talked into trying it. It's pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to brutalizing this thing next Summer to see how it holds up. Joe designs and builds HUGE HUGE airplanes and flies the crap out of them so I trust his opinion.

Joe and I are like brotha's from anotha motha (that have never met in person). Have to give him props for his 54% Edge scratch build. He has some stuff in the works and I'm just itching for him to start a build thread here some day. As an example.....his entire 54% Edge fuse weighs less than my Viper fuse with gear installed. I'm building mine so that average Joe Pilot can build it quickly and hammer the sticks though, so I have to leave a little extra beef in there.

Last edited: