• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
No problem, I've used microballoons forever while building. Although the process of using it with plywood is new to me. Flyrcjoe and I have been chatting offline quite a bit and he got me talked into trying it. It's pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to brutalizing this thing next Summer to see how it holds up. Joe designs and builds HUGE HUGE airplanes and flies the crap out of them so I trust his opinion.

Joe and I are like brotha's from anotha motha (that have never met in person). Have to give him props for his 54% Edge scratch build. He has some stuff in the works and I'm just itching for him to start a build thread here some day. As an example.....his entire 54% Edge fuse weighs less than my Viper fuse with gear installed. I'm building mine so that average Joe Pilot can build it quickly and hammer the sticks thought, so I have to leave a little extra beef in there.

Gonna have to watch the updates.... Don't know him personally, but some say he is a legend.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry and Rick, I was shooting some of the Spies Hecker spray poly this evening, so I sprayed a couple of coats on part of the cowl for my scratchbuild project as a test to see how it does over Epoxy Resin. I'll see tomorrow how it cured and let you know how it did.
Doug

20141112_175439_resized.jpg 20141112_180651_resized.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool Jetpainter, interesting stuff. I wanted to make myself a couple more cowls before I hand the mold over to Fibertech so today I tried a couple. Fist one was laid up with satin cloth, and it was immediately noticeable that it did not have enough structural integrity so I pulled it from the mold early. On the second one for today I went back to my old tried and true process but mixed in a little powdered graphite to give it a black color. This will allow me to really see the surface fresh out of the mold.. I've been sanding a little and cleaning up the mold with each pull. I'm super super happy with this right now. Very little body work to do before painting.
big-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

_DSC0223.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0224.JPG
    _DSC0224.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 210

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I need to also clarify for those thinking about building a kit. The pic a few Posts back with the fuse in the gear, I actually have installed 40% carden edge gear. It is actually my preference and I just grabbed them not remembering what I had in stock. Highly recommend this gear for stance and width of footprint.

Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Last edited: