• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
While I'm waiting for the epoxy to cure decided to make a test panel. I made a few test panels in the past using Rocelle foam that were less than successful. This test panel is one layer of 2 ounce glass, one layer of 4 ounce glass, these were wetted out then the excess was blotted off,. This is followed with 1/8" NOMEX covered with 6 ounce cloth wetted out on a sheet of plastic This is covered with a perforated plastic sheet and two sheets of paper towel to adsorb the excess epoxy. All this was vacuum bagged for three hours at 22 in of mercury. If my math is correct it should come out less than 2.67 ounces per square foot. I'm estimating the fuselage is about 20 square foot so that would the fuselage come out around 3 1/4 pounds. The estimates for the fuselage area are on the high side as well. We shall see what the actual test panels weights and if it is stiff enough.
Hoping that is is strong enough to make the fuselage monocoupe construction without any formers.
IMG_2933.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
While I'm waiting for the epoxy to cure decided to make a test panel. I made a few test panels in the past using Rocelle foam that were less than successful. This test panel is one layer of 2 ounce glass, one layer of 4 ounce glass, these were wetted out then the excess was blotted off,. This is followed with 1/8" NOMEX covered with 6 ounce cloth wetted out on a sheet of plastic This is covered with a perforated plastic sheet and two sheets of paper towel to adsorb the excess epoxy. All this was vacuum bagged for three hours at 22 in of mercury. If my math is correct it should come out less than 2.67 ounces per square foot. I'm estimating the fuselage is about 20 square foot so that would the fuselage come out around 3 1/4 pounds. The estimates for the fuselage area are on the high side as well. We shall see what the actual test panels weights and if it is stiff enough.
Hoping that is is strong enough to make the fuselage monocoupe construction without any formers.
View attachment 121969
Interesting thou on how to make a fuselage, I will be following with interest.

TonyHallo

150cc
Quick update on the test panel, for some reason the 6 ounce cloth didn't adhere to the NOMEX. It did adhere to the 4 ounce cloth however. I have a few theories, one that the six ounce cloth didn't stay on the NOMEX long enough the transfer epoxy before the vacuum was pulled, two, the four ounce cloth has a tighter weave and thus more contact to the NOMEX. The combined layup did come out at 2.44 Ounces per square foot. Next test will be 2 ounce, 4 ounce Nomex, 4 ounce, two ounce.

TonyHallo

150cc
Added the rudder feature to the tail cone. Glued a 1/8" aircraft plywood plate on and filled the voids with SuperFil. This is the second application. Once the corrugations are cut in the vertical fin, it will be glued butt against the plywood plate. As a note my tail cone is shorter than the full scale since the fuselage sides are used to support the stabalator tube.

IMG_2938 (1).jpg
IMG_2939.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Amazon delivered the 5/16" diameter ball end router bits so the corrugation can be cut in the fin and rudder. A frame was made to act as a router stop, this is tack glued to the fin. There is a slight taper on the rudder so the frame mirrors the taper. The frame is 3/8" x 1/2" balsa with 1/4" square sticks on the top and bottom maintaining the spacing.
The Dremel router attachment was modified sometime ago, the attachment is round and the Dremel seems to off center so the measurement can change depending how you position the router on the round surface. I cut part of the circle so the router bears on two points of contact.
Centerlines are laid out and a gauge block was made to position the guide block off of the adjacent centerline. The guide is pinned and clamped in position. I started the routing by plunging into the surface then making a few passes back and forth. The first cut makes a mess with the fuzz from the glass cloth, this is vacuumed away, the groove is harden with thin CA, then a final couple swipes back and forth are made. Onto the next one.
After the first few grooves I discovered it works much better to plunge while sliding the router along the guide, the results are much better. My current plan is to made a mold of the as well as the fuselage. Things are getting carried away here.

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Cut the corrugations in the right side of the fin. Also sanded the tail cone to final shape and put a coat of 2 once cloth on. It is ready for primer. Need to finish the left side corrugations on the fin. Before the rudder is cut loose, need the add the beacon light mount and the white position light features.
IMG_2947.jpg
IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2949.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Added the white position light mount to the rudder, it is a piece of 1/2"dowel. Also added the beacon mount on the vertical fin, short piece of 3/4" dowel then filled in with SuperFil. Working to get the corrugation cleaned up before the parts are separated, much easier to work with one large piece rather than two smaller ones. Using Rustoleum rattle can automotive filler primer and it really doesn't sand very well, just clogs the sandpaper even after drying overnight.
Showing 59 f on Saturday, might put a few coats of primer on the fuselage out of the spray gun.
IMG_2954 (1).jpg