• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Wheels!

Dan767

70cc twin V2
I just ordered the Sullivan Skylites. Never used anything but DuBro and have a hard time justifying the $ for other brands. I use wheel pants and I put a small wood block on the axle end epoxied to the wheel pant to keep the wheel pant from cracking. Doesn't look that's possible with either of the others unless I missed something.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Guys.....What is the ID/OD and width (in mm) of the bearings in these high end wheels of the 4.5 and 5 inch diameters?

The stock wheels that came with my EF 104 have :steamer: for bores for the axels. The axels themselves are 5mm and the bores 6mm. I have some old servo output gear bearings that are 10x 6x 3 mm and plan to install them on the stock wheels and install new axels of 6mm.

1001151924-00.jpg

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
Guys.....What is the ID/OD and width (in mm) of the bearings in these high end wheels of the 4.5 and 5 inch diameters?

The stock wheels that came with my EF 104 have :steamer: for bores for the axels. The axels themselves are 5mm and the bores 6mm. I have some old servo output gear bearings that are 10x 6x 3 mm and plan to install them on the stock wheels and install new axels of 6mm.

View attachment 42280

Inside diameter are either 3/8" or 1/4" depending on what size axel you specify when ordering. Unsure of outside but if you can figure that out by not removing my wheels Saturday you're free to inspect. :)

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I would be skeptical of the "hard rubber". The machined aluminum rims with that oilite bronze bushing is sweet.
I look around the China market hobby suppliers and find some decent stuff but you have to look hard and determine if it is worthy. I made wheels for my 330sc with China rims and better quality tires. They spin great and no slop.
View attachment 42270 View attachment 42271 View attachment 42272
Hey Dimes....I have a pair of those aluminum rims, but the tires are trash. Did you find some good replacement rubber to fit them?

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
We are testing some new wheels we may use in the near future.
I am personally using stock wheels, and only had one problem on the 100cc Edge: a few months ago, after landing, I made a quick turn while the plane was still rolling too fast; it did a bunny hop, and I cracked one hub. I replaced it, and it has been fine since. In June Gaby did a lot of flights at XFC practicing dead stick spot landings, and we have had no issue. I did hear of a few customers cracking the hubs, so we are trying to get stronger wheels for the future productions.
This does come with a weight penalty; I weighed three versions of the 4-1/2 wheel (150cc):
Stock wheel = 3.75oz
Dubro Wheels (plastic hub) = 4.46oz (these have become too expensive to continue using)
New wheels with metal side walls (picures below) = 5.01oz
I am not trying to single you guys out on the wheel issue, everyone offers the same wheel. I had no illusions they would last. I just thought it would be nice to get input from the guys who have done the trial and error. I had never heard of Airman wheels so this has been a positive thread for me. After all, we are men, we break stuff....that's what we do. Your planes can take our abuse just fine so the wear items are not a huge deal. Keep up the good work.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
After all, we are men, we break stuff....that's what we do.
LOL, that's perfect!

Your planes can take our abuse just fine so the wear items are not a huge deal. Keep up the good work.

Agree! Since I started building my own planes I've gotten more and more picky with what I use on them. Almost every ARF company out there comes with throw away wheels and tail wheels so I'm kinda used to it. Thanks @Islandflyer for working hard to have the best product you can in a cost effective manor:way_to_go: The updated carbon tail wheels have been working really nice and IMHO are the best of any ARF out there because we can drag our rudders without tearing up the rudder and hinges!! New fuel tanks will be a super addition too!:fist_pump:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Hey Dimes....I have a pair of those aluminum rims, but the tires are trash. Did you find some good replacement rubber to fit them?

I had some older unused 3.5" Dubros that fit the rims. I used two 3/4" long 3mm hex screws to draw the hub down on the tire then installed 2 of the 4 supplied screws. Removed the longer hex screws and installed the remaining 2 supplied screws. Used Armorall to shine up the rubber.
Photo346.jpg