• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

tylerzx9r

100cc
No, not 6 just these two......a couple of fixer-upper arf's and a warbird ARF. What I'd like to do next time I do a full build is do a hybrid plywood with balsa skin fuse for a glass and paint, that's why I'm so interested. Things will slow down a little for me since I think we are going to try to sell our house close to Spring.
What? Are you moving closer????? :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

tylerzx9r

100cc
Agree on the pilot size, especially since your going for the vintage race looks! They didn't have much room in the cockpit back then.....

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It's been about a week since I posted on the build here. I've been making some test panels and posting in the painting thread, but I have also been working on a cowl ring. This cowl has open cowl vents on the top and sides and I didn't want a flush mount solid ring that you could see from behind when looking in the vents, but it needed to be flush at the bottom. So I ended up making an inner ring with a upper outer ring that is set back a 1/4" so when viewed from behind there is some recess to it. It's heavy and overly complicated, but it should work.
20141216_214628_resized.jpg
20141216_214558_resized.jpg 20141216_214609_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I have to agree.... I like the look of "man this thing is big" all around me. LOL
I have two different thoughts about the pilot. If I use a smaller pilot it makes the airplane look bigger, but if I use a big pilot it looks like the pilot is wearing a very over powered airplane which I like. And since this is supposed to look like a vintage racer I like the idea of just the pilots head showing like in a Gee Bee Z
I really like the looks of this. Very Nice!! Lots of work but will be worth it in the end.
Thanks! I wanted something different. I really would like to build my original design of this some day, but it would need to be a fiberglass fuselage to make it workable. It's got more curves than this one and wing mounted gear.

OverKill

New to GSN!
Late to the party, but what a party! That's one pretty airplane Doug, and exceptionally well executed. Can't wait to see how you finish it.

I like the idea of using a larger pilot, making it look like the guy's got to squeeze into that thing like a wet suit. It's a race plane right? Nothng but a place to hang a big engine with just enough wing to lift it, the cockpit and pilot are just another necessary evil. Looking at the Granville Bros. airplanes and others of the time, they apparently proceeded from the engineering principle that if it doesn't make it faster it shouldn't be there. Yours looks like it follows form. Really slippery.

Dave