• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

60" Laser-EXP

Almost done, just have to install servos, motor, ESC, and mount the cowl.

Assembling the 60" Laser goes quickly. All of the major openings in the covering for servo bays, main gear, wing
tube, fuse cooling vent, and etc. were already made on mine. As recommended in the manual, I spent a little time going over the covering's seams and edges with a covering iron mostly as a precautionary measure. That went smoothly as the factory covering job on my model is very well done.

Only thing unexpected that I ran into was that the elevator joiner hit the top and bottom portions of the fin opening, which restricted travel to about +/- 20°. The opening had to be enlarged by trimming out about 1/16" of wood to achieve full U/D elevator deflection. Easily done with a sharp X-acto.

Another thing, but having to do with Hitec HS-7245MH servos when used for the ailerons. The leads are to short and barely exit the wing panel, i.e. connector only. If they were just 1" longer like the leads on the low voltage servo it's meant to be an improvement over, HS-5245MG, but such is not the case. Rather than using a second set of plug-in extensions on the HS-7245MH, I opted for the solder on extension lead; Hyperion p/n HP-WR001 300mm universal servo lead.

Everything else is falling smoothly into place, and the Laser will be ready for flight by the time the rainy weather clears.

gyro

GSN Contributor

Assembling the 60" Laser goes quickly. All of the major openings in the covering for servo bays, main gear, wing
tube, fuse cooling vent, and etc. were already made on mine. As recommended in the manual, I spent a little time going over the covering's seams and edges with a covering iron mostly as a precautionary measure. That went smoothly as the factory covering job on my model is very well done.

Only thing unexpected that I ran into was that the elevator joiner hit the top and bottom portions of the fin opening, which restricted travel to about +/- 20°. The opening had to be enlarged by trimming out about 1/16" of wood to achieve full U/D elevator deflection. Easily done with a sharp X-acto.

Another thing, but having to do with Hitec HS-7245MH servos when used for the ailerons. The leads are to short and barely exit the wing panel, i.e. connector only. If they were just 1" longer like the leads on the low voltage servo it's meant to be an improvement over, HS-5245MG, but such is not the case. Rather than using a second set of plug-in extensions on the HS-7245MH, I opted for the solder on extension lead; Hyperion p/n HP-WR001 300mm universal servo lead.

Everything else is falling smoothly into place, and the Laser will be ready for flight by the time the rainy weather clears.

Awesome update, let us know when she flies!

3dbandit

100cc

I also ran into the same issue with the elevator joiner hitting, except I had to carve a lot more wood out(1/4" on each side).

gyro

GSN Contributor
IMHO that isn't an "issue" it's adjusting the model to meet your throw preference :p

Pretty awesome plane if that's all ya gotta do :)

FWIW I've had to do that on just about every 48-60" plane I've build

3dbandit

100cc
I think i need more throw :D...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by a moderator:

3dbandit

100cc
IMHO that isn't an "issue" it's adjusting the model to meet your throw preference :p

Pretty awesome plane if that's all ya gotta do :)

FWIW I've had to do that on just about every 48-60" plane I've build

I agree, it is a non issue. I actually couldn't move my elevators at all without carving it out though, I guess my preference is control surfaces that move :p

wedoitall

ive had to do that do on just about every plane ive bought/built. even had to do it on a couple used ones I bought. Rehinge and carve, my radio doesn't really know low rates.