• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

60" Laser-EXP

Nice flying Hone. Completed "the build" and flew mine yesterday.

The 60" Laser flies very smooth, precise, and tracks like it's on rails even in light winds. I ran six consecutive packs through it Tuesday morning, and with flight times of 6:30 ~ 7:00 minutes each, the 5S 4000mAH pack comes down at or above 3.75 volts per cell. With an AUW of ~6.0 lbs the Laser flies much bigger than it is and has extremely good low speed stability. It has all the good flight characteristics I've experienced with my 3DHS 74" Edge and EF 70" Extra 300 and not a single bad habit. The Laser hovers and torque rolls darn near effortlessly. I didn't notice any pitch or roll coupling in KE, even with a slightly forward CG. But of course flying in light winds would tend to make slight coupling difficult to discern. Even still point rolls are nice and crisp.

Setup info: HS-7245MH, Torque 4016T/500 V2, Xoar 16x8, CC Phoenix ICE2 HV80, 526g 5S 4000mAH pack. With the light weight pack (compared to a 5S 5000 etc;-) all the way back against the wing-tube the CG is still just a little forward of that needed to achieve a good straight and inverted 45° up-line. Before the next outing I'm going to move the ESC further back from its current position on the bottom of the motor box and just forward of F1, to behind F1. But as is the Laser flies great in windy conditions (CG at the front of the wing tube).

Love the new 60" Laser.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Nice flying summery Delta. I am still waiting for my motor to come back from Ken so maybe a couple more days for my maiden but I like what I hear from your description.

Which motor is Ken working on for ya?

Put 6 more packs through the Laser this morning before the winds kicked up, and with the ESC moved back 6" from the rear of the motor and mounted under the battery tray. I made a KE pass to check for coupling and was able to let go of the ali/elv stick using rudder only. Must be close to the sweet spot on CG as there was zero coupling in a 200' KE flyby. This is one sweet flying airframe:) Will have to try it sometime without the SFGs' fitted, but it is so nice to do really tight KE loops with them on.

I used a dremmel sanding wheel to open up the elevator slot. I hooked it up to the servo and I am getting close to 80 degrees with a 1.5" arm. I should have mine done tomorrow. I ordered a bunch of batteries, but I only will have one by tomorrow so 6s 4000 zippy compact it is.