• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

Charles

70cc twin V2
Ok thanks I thought this might be the case I was actually thinking about cutting the hinge slots then sanding the angles in the LE and covering before installing the hinges. Kind of like you get an ARF.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Finally stopped by HD last night and picked up the flux. After getting the ParkZone Sukhoi together and the hobby room cleaned up, should be she to move forward on the P-40 again. Helps being a long weekend to hopefully get more work done.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
So much for my plans. My dad was in town Saturday, but the wife said he couldn't come upstairs to the hobby room. So my plan of doing the wheel soldering was washed down the drain. Didn't even try to fight her on the battle. Then Sunday I let her do her thing to get away and have some alone time. Then my in-laws were over today. At this rate not sure when I'll get back to the build.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Sorry to hear the bad news. Do you have a local club, guys love to help.

I'm a member of one. Just the problem is getting the time. I know I can do it, just would have been nice having it done.

Oh, did I mention I also had to do the cooking for 2 cookouts this weekend? The joys of being the chef in the family.

Charles

70cc twin V2
I installed the bell crank system in my wings tonight and I really dont like it there seems to be to much resustence so Im going to tear it out and do what you did go with seperate servos for each arelon and flap. Im just going to cut the belcrank plate out between 8& 9 and put in a servo mount. like you did. However You dont have a photo of the servo mounted. How do you intend to mount it since space is very limited. I figured you would have to lay it flat to fit inside the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
I installed the bell crank system in my wings tonight and I really dont like it there seems to be to much resustence so Im going to tear it out and do what you did go with seperate servos for each arelon and flap. Im just going to cut the belcrank plate out between 8& 9 and put in a servo mount. like you did. However You dont have a photo of the servo mounted. How do you intend to mount it since space is very limited. I figured you would have to lay it flat to fit inside the area.

I was just wondering what you were going to do for ailerons. Our experience with Berk crank systems is having too much slop, introducing flutter. I'm installing them on a light ply hatch. If you look forward in the build manual you'll see the flap servos are mounted to the flap servo hatch that is made out of light ply. The rails are for the screws for the hatch. If you look at the Focke Wuf 190 D manual this is how they did the aileron servos too. By installing on the hatch you can get the servos at the correct angle to make a straight line to the control horn. When I go back to the wing for sheeting after ensuring servo wire holes on the ribs are large enough, I'll have to buy some light ply and hard balsa to make these hatches.

That brings up another point. Before you sheet the wing, modify the ribs for your servo wires, I'm told 1/2" holes are n needed for the connectors. I need to get all my wires and enlarge my holes. The wires make great Christmas list items for my wife to get, which is why I haven't finished my wing.

SnowDog

Make sure you use a decent thickness light ply for those Aileron servos...I had some light ply hatches on a 50cc plane that were too thin and they failed when the aileron servo was pushed a little.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Thanks the bell crank after I installed had way to much drag. from the friction between the inner and outer liners so Im just going to scrap it I like the idea of using seperate servos anyway instead of all that linkage. Ill use the same thickness of ply on the hatches that I used for the ribs. Do you use hardwood blocks or balsa for your mounting blocks glued to the hatches to mount the servos on?

Charles

70cc twin V2
I took out the bell crank and rods and finished the other things on the wing and took off the building board and am getting ready to build the flaps.