• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton Yak 54, 38% please submit suggestions here....

Cam, I have used another 1/2" x 1/2" oak piece instead of the Al I used 24hr epoxy to glue them together - one of top of the other. I believe the glue holds better to wood than it does to Al but who really knows? Also, if you have to glue your canister supports in then you will have wood to wood glue joints AND they are easier to dremel to the correct size if need be.

The BH yak LG arrived today. It is about 1/2 the weight of the aluminum one. We will see which one i will use, in any case, there will be a back up one.

IMG_7683.JPG

The motorbox is almost complete. I will not move to the next step just yet, as you are all aware, I am paying special attention to the landing gear plate and the support for this, in particular, my concern of this area failing. I do not know about you all, but i prefer the landing gear to break (fracture), instead of the wood frame. Would this be an accurate statement? Some will say, well , you want the gear plate to give. But to me, it is much more difficult to repair, than to replace a CF landing gear. Interesting to hear what you all have to say.

In any event, this is where I am at so far.
I have drilled my holes thru Landing gear and thru the plate, and thru the 1/2" hardwood runners.
Then, I have glued in 1/2" by 1/2" aluminum angles, that run pretty good both ways from the screw hole area, and these are 1/8" thick. Pretty darn tough and hard to bend.

Ok, now, on top of that, i glued on a 1/2" aluminum bar, this, is also 1/8" thick.

Once this glue cures, i will remove all of the extruded glue, and then clean this area up, and then glue in some oak dowels, 1/2 by 1/2", and use blind nuts.

I think this will be pretty darn tough.

IMG_7684.JPG
IMG_7685.JPG

BalsaDust

My fear when building one of my planes and I beefed up the landing gear plate area was that in a bad landing the gear wouldn't give and would end up tearing even more of the fuse out

Carden recommends not using blind nuts but drilling and tapping the wood dowels. Theory is that the bolts will shear and keep the gear from tearing out. I found this to be true back when. Sheared all four bolts just like they were cut with a hot knife. Use the rubber backed washers on the bolts and the bolts stay tight.