• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton Yak 54, 38% please submit suggestions here....

I will do this later today. On these side supports, the curved area has to be rounded. I will have to sand down the sharp edges. Once this step is complete, time to bring out the plans, plan protector, and the long aluminum angles so that I can start on the fuselage!!
image.jpg

Rounded???........like to match the general shape of F1.

Hi Rex, on this image, you can see what i am referring to.

I have applied black sharpie to the edge that I will sand down. this is an area where the fuselage sides balsa sheeting will be bending over, so in order to prevent it from being a sharp edge, these edges need to be sanded down smooth and round.

IMG_7690.JPG

Last edited:
Just got home and was able to glue the fuselage sides and the supports to the motorbox.
Now it is clamp time.
Will remove them tomorrow morning.

Like i said, one step per day.!!

SLOWWWWWWWWW progress.

IMG_7691.JPG

The next step, which is real fun!! is to connect the motorbox and fuselage sides with the tail segment, and then glue in the formers, then the stringers, then the cross bracing. On this one, i will do it differently, instead of using the spruce 1/4" rods, i will use 1/8" round solid carbon fiber rods. All coming up within next 4 weeks! Stay tuned!!

I am getting ready to connect the tail to the fuselage sides and the motorbox.
I have obtained a 81" by 30" smooth plywood board, and i placed it on my workbench, then shimmed it to make it level. Once the surface was flat, the plans were placed over the flat plywood, then covered the plans with plan protector. The aluminum angles went on next, being drilled into the 1/2" plywood, suing 1/2" flat head screws. It is pretty straight now. Just wanted to show a detailed summary on how this is done, for those who have never built one before. This is critical to assure the airplane is straight. Using a flat table and the aluminum angles.

The 1/4" spruce stringers that connect the two, according to the plans, calls for them to be cut at 38.5", however, once placed over the plans, these are still too long!!
Looks like 1/4" too long.
I will trim them down, and then glue them in. When doing so, i can clamp the joint to the angle, and place weights over the tail segment and the motorbox, to help push them down flat.

IMG_7702.JPG
IMG_7703.JPG
IMG_7704.JPG
IMG_7705.JPG
IMG_7706.JPG
IMG_7707.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG
IMG_7709.JPG

The tail assembly is now connected to the motor-box assembly!! Yippie!!
Ok, have to let this dry overnight., and tomorrow the formers will be glued in. This evening, the balsa square strip will be placed on the top edge of the formers, on the front and back surface.

IMG_7710.JPG
IMG_7711.JPG
IMG_7712.JPG