• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton Yak 54, 38% please submit suggestions here....

Glued on the 1/4" balsa squares to the back of the top of former F5-F8.

IMG_7713.JPG

on the top of F3, front and back, a 1/4" square carbon fiber rods were glued on with 30 min epoxy, same on the back side of F4.
These were then glued on to the frame. F3 has tabs, but F4, must assure that it is square when clamping it and glue goes on.

IMG_7714.JPG
IMG_7715.JPG
IMG_7716.JPG

Here is a sneak peek... These have yet to be glued on.
My plan: There are 8 stringers that go from F3 to F7, and 6 that go from F1 to F10.
I will be using 4 stringers that are full length (8 feet long), not spliced, 1/4" square spruce. Ordered them from Aircraft spruce, and they will arrive on Monday, the other 4 will be 1/4" square carbon fiber rods.

IMG_7717.JPG
IMG_7718.JPG
IMG_7719.JPG

ALERT:
Before you glue the stringers in, please take note of a tail piece that needs to be glued in 1st!
This was left out of the manual:

"Locate F9 and F10 fuselage formers, (2) stab side supports, and fin support. Test fit assembly and once satisfied with the fit glue the assembly together. Use tape and clamps to hold assembly together while glue dries."

SO in actuality, this piece can be glued in with those.
this step was left out from the manual.

IMG_7724.JPG
IMG_7725.JPG
IMG_7726.JPG
IMG_7727.JPG

Two of the 8 stringers has been glued on with 30 mine epoxy. Next is to glue on the TG plate and the bottom most stringers (CF). this will complete all the CF stringers that will be used. The remaining 4 will be long spruce. The CF stringers, on the glue points, are roughed up at low speed with a Dremel sanding drum.

IMG_7720.JPG
IMG_7721.JPG
IMG_7722.JPG
IMG_7723.JPG

The cross bracing, will also be made of round 1/8" solid carbon fiber rods. The plans call for the use of 1/4" square spruce.
I will be making triangular shaped gussets out of a laminate of carbon fiber plate - 1/8" thick balsa-carbon fiber plate. These will reinforce the joints at the cross-brace points, and it will allow the carbon fiber rod to have direct bonding with the carbon fiber gusset. Should be super tough.

IMG_7729.JPG
IMG_7730.JPG

Just finished gluing the tail wheel plate and the bottom most 2 stringers.
Made some calculations.
I did some research, and the compressive and tensile strength of carbon fiber relative to spruces is approximately 25 times stronger!!! This comes with a cost, and this is weight.
The carbon fiber square rods weigh approximately 1 gram per inch. The spruce square weighs 0.39 grams per inch.
In my construction, there will be a total of 576" of stringers used for the bottom and side of the fuselage.
If it was all spruce, the total weight would be 7.9 ounces.
If it was all carbon fiber, the total weight would be 20 ounces ( this is a 12 ounce gain, wow!! almost one pound!!)
In my case, there are 1/2 spruce and 1/2 carbon fiber, this will be a total of 14 ounces, a weight gain of 6 ounces, actually not that bad. A good price to pay for the strength increase.

Ok, however, there will be cross bracing, and the 1/8" carbon fiber rods I will use weigh .33 grams per inch. This is about 0.06 grams less than the spruce. Therefore, I will gain some of the loss by using these!!

This is going to be fun to see how it comes out!!

IMG_7732.JPG
IMG_7733.JPG

Started on the cross bracing. Still contemplating if i should double them up in the rear half of the air-frame. On the plans, it says only one on the bottom and one on the top. However, on my Dalton 300ML, i did not follow this, and I made an X on top and bottom, and it is super tough!
IMG_7739.JPG
IMG_7740.JPG
IMG_7741.JPG
IMG_7742.JPG