• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

How easy was it to drill the bolts that is not easy to do. We're they high grade alloy bolts. Did you get special drill bits and lubricants.

Yes, yes, and yes!

It was not easy. took me 2 hours to do 12 of them.

I used oil every time, and multiple times.

I used a drill press.

I bought about 12 drill bits from McMaster Carr.
they were 1 to 2 dollars each. size: 1/16th, they were all cutting steel bits, but many of them broke. Even after they broke, they were still able to drill.

the screws are rated at over 180,000 strength, what ever that means! LOL!

Rusty 73

100cc
Your doing just like it's done on a really aircraft , are you .025 or .032 diameter wire . I guess using tap cutting oil won't be enough .

I dont know for sure but maybe McMaster Carr has socket heads with safety wire , i have seen bolts on their site with safety hole through the head .
But im sure you already checked , they would be a special order item and probably would have to buy them in bulk like a hundred a shot .

Love your determination and your good quality of hole drilling , did you glue the threaded rods end in the fibre shaft with Hysol epoxy , those rod will never flex!

Rusty 73

100cc
imagea8l.jpg

Found some images of safety wire screw,bolts and castellated nut . McMasters Carr doesn't have and socket style bolts/screws with hole in the head . Ooops .

Hi Rusty, I did it just like number 1 above. This way, if one bolt wants to loosen, it would tighten the other one. I had never done this before, but yesterday, my buddy Kyle, came over to visit me, and say his farewell. He did his 8 years of service to our Air Force, and now, time to head back home. We will miss him, he was an Advanced Pilot, and he flew with us last year in South Central. Now, he is going back to the South East Conference. In any event, we were out back, and I was telling him how I just drilled the screw heads, and then, he enlightened me, on how this safety wire works, and boy was I glad he told me, since I had no clue about this. Thank you for posting that as well, as it can be used as reference for others (and myself in the future!).

Regarding the threaded rods, those are fully threaded rods, meaning, it is the whole length of the push rod, all i did was slip a carbon fiber tube over them. this will help strengthen them against flexing. SO they are heavier, compared to had it been hollow. I just do not trust a rod that would have been glued on like that, on such a big airplane. Plus, I need tail weight to counter the nose weight. SO it is functional weight.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Cam,

and others

We do lots of drilling and taping here as you may suspect, an option if you don't have tapping oil is to use bar soap as a lubricant for drilling and tapping ( bath soap) we use it all the time and it not as messy as oil. A drop of liquid detergent works well too!!

Al

Rusty 73

100cc
I still have a white bar of lubricant for the drill bits, I use it when drilling out rivets and old bolts that were ceased from corrosion. Just leftovers from my aviation maintenance days along with a bunch of old hardware pieces .

Kyle sounds like a great guy, it was very thoughtful of him to inform you about the safety wire procedures. If you were doing a lot of lock wire i believe Snap-On makes a lock wire pliers which helps speed up the job . Still can't believe you drilled all those bolt heads for the exhaust amazing. So the South East conference must include Floridia ,will you ever fly against that conference in any upcoming events . Sounds like Kyle was your caller or helper when you flew iMac events, these types of guys are hard to replace and are their knowledge will be missed.

Back in my racing days we used carbon fibre rods for the elevator , we didn't have a threaded shaft and had to insert the 4-40 rod into a block of wood ,glued and inserted into the shaft and wrapped with epoxy resin and high strength thread wrapped around the outside where the rod is inserted. Very rarely would I get flex in the shaft from high G-force we were pulling in the corners . If the elevator input started to get soft then more input was required from the transmitter, a sign that we were going extremely fast .This only happened a couple of times in my fitheen years of racing I felt the shaft flex under very high G load and once during the 1989 Nats in Tri cities Wsahington flying against Dave Shadel. You won't have any such problems on your Plane .:way_to_go:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes, yes, and yes!

It was not easy. took me 2 hours to do 12 of them.

I used oil every time, and multiple times.

I used a drill press.

I bought about 12 drill bits from McMaster Carr.
they were 1 to 2 dollars each. size: 1/16th, they were all cutting steel bits, but many of them broke. Even after they broke, they were still able to drill.

the screws are rated at over 180,000 strength, what ever that means! LOL!

When i saw all those Allen head bolts drilled I new that you spent some doing that. Lucky you bought 12 drill bits because you were going to need most of them. Lucky you did not end up with a broken drill stuck in the bolt because that is almost impossible to get out. I remember doing that just getting frustrated and trying to drill the broken drill bit out with another drill and we all no the outcome of that .?????????