• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How many of you are running the new DA150L?

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
What about weight vs prop choice? A 38 lb plane with a 32x10 and a 40lb plane better off with a 32x12 or other way around? Talking IMAC style flying. And is testing a wood prop the same as running a carbon ? Ive found that answer to be no myself, these tests get expensive ! Good thread.

Super08

70cc twin V2
I find the wood props of the same size usually run a bit lower RPM and more noise than a CF of the same brand.

quadracer

100cc
I've found much the same on smaller props as well, I think it's because the wood props flatten out at high rpm and carbon props don't (or to near the degree wood does).

quadracer;13905 wrote: Flew the 104 the other day, 32x12 is not the ideal prop. Lol

It only turned 4800 rpm on the ground, so I bought a 30x13, which bumped it to 5300. I've talked to a few who run the 31x10W and love it, so I think that's my next size to try, along with retuning slightly. I bought the engine from a guy in New Hampshire, so I think a retune to southern Indiana climate is definitely necessary. That said, I have a wooden Falcon 32x12 for sale, flown 4 times (includes prop socks). Let me know if you're interested.

wow!!! very interesting. i just came back in from running my engine on the ground, and was quite disappointed and sad!! with my brand new DA 150L and pro flow cans, TBM wood prop, 32 x 10, i was turning about 4600 rpm, which to me, does not seem like much....

rough calculation of about 40 pounds of thrust. more com,plicated than this, but using same formula, if i use a 30 x 12 prop (& engine reaches 5800 rpm), my static thrust would be about 64 pounds. my airplane weighs about 36.5 pounds, so thrust to weight ratio closer to almost 2 to 1 would be much better. thanks for posting this, cause now i know what i have to do!!! i need to order a Mejzlik or Falcon 30 x 12 prop!!!

quadracer

100cc
Yeah, mine would still pull vertical all the way to the moon with 32x12, it just wouldn't do so in the lively fashion I'm wanting it to. I haven't put it on a scale to check thrust, I'll do that once I bolt on the 31x10W and get it tuned, then report back.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
orthobird;13986 wrote: wow!!! very interesting. i just came back in from running my engine on the ground, and was quite disappointed and sad!! with my brand new DA 150L and pro flow cans, TBM wood prop, 32 x 10, i was turning about 4600 rpm, which to me, does not seem like much....

rough calculation of about 40 pounds of thrust. more com,plicated than this, but using same formula, if i use a 30 x 12 prop, my static thrust would be about 64 pounds. my airplane weighs about 36.5 pounds, so thrust to weight ratio closer to almost 2 to 1 would be much better. thanks for posting this, cause now i know what i have to do!!! i need to order a Mejzlik or Falcon 30 x 12 prop!!!

Wow. A DA150 should turn a Mej. 32X10 right at 6000RPM. Something isn't right.

Robotech;14016 wrote: Wow. A DA150 should turn a Mej. 32X10 right at 6000RPM. Something isn't right.

do you think that cheap wood prop may have something to do with that? it is a TBM wood prop.

14027=7931-IMG_6052.jpg
14027=7931-IMG_6052.jpg

quadracer

100cc
Hopefully one of us can figure out what's going on and solve each others' problem! I should have my new prop in a couple days, so I'll be able to get tuned and hopefully pulling to 6k. I wouldn't think the brand of prop would be the cause, most of them are within a reasonable amount of weight of each other, and I'm having the same issue. I'm gonna do some needlework and I bet it'll come to life.