• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Is there any 50cc KITS that can do 3D??

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured that any kits that size would be very old style and expensive. I will be seriously considering the 30cc planes to save some cash to get the 100cc kit to build a little faster. I will will hold on for a while yet in hopes someone knows of the 50cc kit:)

BalsaDust

Phil Griffen hit the nail on the head for the only real kit out there in that size that can do some nice 3D stuff. Here is a video of one of the kits he sells.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
That kit most definitely 3Ds!!! That would also be much easier to repair if the inevitable happens as well. How much noticeable difference is there between the 30cc and the 50cc sized planes in performance and stability?

ryan_m

100cc
depends on what 30cc you are talking about. The 3dhobbyshop 30cc planes are 70-74" in wingspan depending on the plane, and typically weigh in at about 10-11 lb. The ExtremeFlight planes are typically 74-76" wingspan (The MXS says 83, but that's with the tips on, without them as many fly it, it's really 76") and weigh in at a heavier 12.5-13.5 lb, and they are really 35-40cc planes. The EF ones fly much closer to a 50cc plane, yet more manueverable. Still able to handle wind nearly as good as a 50cc plane, and nearly as "big" feeling in the sky too. The 3dhs ones (or any other 10-11 lb 30cc plane) won't feel quite as big. Personally I prefer the EF planes if I'm building gas, as they feel nearly as big as a 50cc, yet retain the maneuverability/agility of the 30cc planes, and transport just as easy as the slightly smaller 10-11lb 30cc planes. And much easier to transport than the 50cc birds! If I were building an electric, I would use the 3dhs ones, as they are easier to power in electric, often able to get by with a single 6s5000. In particular the 70" Velox... Love that plane on electric. And it's one of my favorite all time planes as well. But for gas, the EF 35cc class is really really nice. I have their 76" MXS with a DA-35 and love it. A buddy has the 74" Laser, and I've flown it and love it also.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
If you want a long winter project, you could always buy a used airframe with some hangar rash. Or one with an ugly scheme or in need of a little TLC. Then strip all the old covering off and start over. That will keep you busy for a while.

Jgsticks

50cc
Aerobeez 50cc slick 540 is 15lbs or less. It is one of the better 50cc planes that I have flown. Hard to find a 50cc plane at 15lbs or less.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Pawnshopmike, I like your idea. I do like getting my stuff used anyway. Since I live in Tucson, it'll be a nice summer project if I am not deployed. Otherwise it might turn into a fall/winter project. This project will begin as soon as my P-47 is maidened. I am still working on the bottom half of the fuselage before building the wing. I just built the custom motor/battery box and installed it.

Holy on the Aerobeez weight! That is a minimum of 1 lb less than every other 50cc I have looked at besides maybe that profile?

-Rick-

100cc
If you want a long winter project, you could always buy a used airframe with some hangar rash. Or one with an ugly scheme or in need of a little TLC. Then strip all the old covering off and start over. That will keep you busy for a while.

Oh ya, know all about that!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Pawnshopmike, I like your idea. I do like getting my stuff used anyway. Since I live in Tucson, it'll be a nice summer project if I am not deployed. Otherwise it might turn into a fall/winter project. This project will begin as soon as my P-47 is maidened. I am still working on the bottom half of the fuselage before building the wing. I just built the custom motor/battery box and installed it.

Holy on the Aerobeez weight! That is a minimum of 1 lb less than every other 50cc I have looked at besides maybe that profile?
And it's a fact too that not only are they just a wee bit lighter, I beat the snot outta mine and never did break it. Oh I tried... LOL