• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Going to get an early start today. I will be focusing on placement and looming of the wiring harnesses. The nicest thing about a large airframe, (besides its flight characteristics) is there is ample space to get my hands in and so many options for ideas. Without further adue, on with the show.

View attachment 46160
I thought you switched radio systems? You still flying Hitec?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I thought you switched radio systems? You still flying Hitec?
I still have my Hitec. Once I got all the ignition modules on my 3dub's figured out, I realized it is just as solid as any other radio. I've not decided which system I will use in the Yak. The Graupner is freaking amazing. But it has a "very" light feel on the sticks. I'm still trying to acclimate to it on the Sukhoi. The Hitec on the other hand just gives the feel of connection. I may opt to buy another 12 channel rx. Graupner for the Yak. They have really cool telemetry accessories. Just not decided yet.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok so the elevator and rudder harnesses are now strung and in place. This is about as far as I will go with the wiring until the fuse is completely covered.

20151205_190056.jpg
20151205_190118.jpg
20151205_190343.jpg

Going to take a short break and get after that covering.:way_to_go:

-Rick-

100cc
Thanks Rick. I do hope you'll be able to get yours done in plenty of time for some Spring time huckin'!

I won't be splitting the ailerons on this one. Though I did consider it, doing so would probably not prove to give much of an advantage. With the current configuration of the ailerons, they should be plenty effective. And since the Yak's are noted for awesome stability as well as floating like a whisper of smoke, I will be leaving them as they are.
Got that right, Yak 54s fly sweeeett!! Had one for two two years and loved it, dead sticked it into terra firma and tossed it. Biggest mistake I've made yet, should have got Tony to send the wood to rebuild it. Dumb on my part!! Got a pilot yak 55 and it's just not the same.

Yours will be great!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Got that right, Yak 54s fly sweeeett!! Had one for two two years and loved it, dead sticked it into terra firma and tossed it. Biggest mistake I've made yet, should have got Tony to send the wood to rebuild it. Dumb on my part!! Got a pilot yak 55 and it's just not the same.

Yours will be great!!
What is that Yak you are doing your rebuild on? What size? This is the first Yak I have had and really looking forward to it. Randy @Spats loves his and actually he is the one that really made the biggest impression on me to go forward with the purchase and restore of this one. I really love the way my H-9 Sukhoi flies. Hopefully this Yak will be as good or better huh?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Yours will be great!!

I have a Pilot 100cc Yak 54 and yes it flies sweet, lands like a dandelion seed. The 55 is on my list but you got me interested in your experience now.