• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

-Rick-

100cc
What is that Yak you are doing your rebuild on? What size? This is the first Yak I have had and really looking forward to it. Randy @Spats loves his and actually he is the one that really made the biggest impression on me to go forward with the purchase and restore of this one. I really love the way my H-9 Sukhoi flies. Hopefully this Yak will be as good or better huh?
Not a Yak, a 42% Dietrich slick. Just got to finish the wings and do some kind of scheme.

Seen lots of the Suk's fly, never flown one but they look good. Still strikes me that the Sukhoi is better for IMAC style flying while the Yak 54 seems to like to be thrown around in 3D.

Just my thoughts on them.....

-Rick-

100cc
I have a Pilot 100cc Yak 54 and yes it flies sweet, lands like a dandelion seed. The 55 is on my list but you got me interested in your experience now.
Just have a 35cc Yak 55. I must have gotten a Friday afternoon model or Monday morning, had lots of problems getting it to fly right. Thrust issues, incidence problems, got it worked out but it still isn't as much fun to throw around as the 54 was.

-Rick-

100cc
Oh and and Pilot landing gear sucked!! Very weak and wasn't stiff enough for a grass field. But again, its a 35cc.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not a Yak, a 42% Dietrich slick. Just got to finish the wings and do some kind of scheme.

Seen lots of the Suk's fly, never flown one but they look good. Still strikes me that the Sukhoi is better for IMAC style flying while the Yak 54 seems to like to be thrown around in 3D.

Just my thoughts on them.....
Guess I misunderstood you. I knew the photo was not a Yak but thought you were doing one. I missed the fact you were referring to your Slick. Just goes to show you, one should never try to comment on something at 2 in the morning after working late on a monster plane.
:laughing:
I've experienced that very thing with my Sukhoi. Oh it's an awesome flyer, don't get me wrong. Just that it's like my 260 is far and beyond a better hucker than my Sukhoi. But when it comes to smoooooth...yeah that Sukhoi has it. So with the big Yakster, I'm hoping I get acquainted with it quick. I know I can put the tail of my 100cc Pilot Edge in that pool next year. I just want to do it with the Yak. Really looking forward to Tri-Cities this next year with @Spats, @SupaTim, @Geno and all "Those Guys"!:yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
WOW, I didn't think someone that is old enough to know that song could, could ever learn to do 3D, There may be hope for me yet . . . . :lol2:
Well I couldn't use the actual word of "light" as this ole girl will be anything but light. But it sure is white...right now. LOL. I did get the fuse completely covered today. But now of course, back up in Northern Idaho for the next five days for work. Looking forward to getting home on Friday to add some trim to that gorgeous bird. Wow...talk about a jigsaw puzzle. And here I thought it would be much easier to just order the pre-cut covering from Pilot....Oh yeah...NOT SO MUCH. LOL