• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

-= SLiCKNeSS SiCKNeSS =-

wedoitall

No i havent flown it yet cant wait. I think the hinges are the problem im having. Seems like they are binding simewhat.
I piled in my wattaplane slick for the 4th and prolly final time. So i needed a replacement. I wanted the 51 slick when i was in the market for my first balsa around the first of the year.

But both of my mxs have big tails and get at least 65 degrees of throw. At first i wasnt too crazy about all of that throw but once i got used to it i really like it. Especially when combined with speed

hosam

70cc twin V2
its your call but I would fly it first before making changes... I had over 300 flights on my last 51 with stock hinges... as for the binding, put a meter inline with the servo wires to the Rx and read the amps and see if they are high when at full deflection...

wedoitall

you can make a meter like this

Thats pretty cool. Never thought of doing that.Can i use a regular multi meter? Im out of ec3 female cnnectors and would have to order some(i live in the boonies). Id rather use my watt meter but id like to fly tomorrow if at all possible.

What numbers in amps am i looking for?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thats pretty cool. Never thought of doing that.Can i use a regular multi meter? Im out of ec3 female cnnectors and would have to order some(i live in the boonies). Id rather use my watt meter but id like to fly tomorrow if at all possible.

What numbers in amps am i looking for?

I think you should just be looking for a spike in amps throughout out the range of travel, there shouldn't be any binding. But if all else fails, take a reading on another servo, like the rudder, then compare.

hosam

70cc twin V2
You could splice into the extension and use a multi meter. My large planes pull about a 1/2 amp at full deflection so I would look for something less. If you have a bind it is most likely the control rod. Remove all parts and play with every thing until u find the bind, if you have one...

SnowDog

its your call but I would fly it first before making changes... I had over 300 flights on my last 51 with stock hinges... as for the binding, put a meter inline with the servo wires to the Rx and read the amps and see if they are high when at full deflection...

agree with hosam...fly it first the way it is before you go about making changes

ryan_m

100cc
Is your binding a physical one, surface bevels hitting each other? Or just tight hinges for whatever reason?
You might try removing the linkage and seeing if the elevator can move smoothly from full up to full down. If the bevels are hitting each other, you might be able to squish the wood a bit and get a few extra few degrees of throw. I've heard of some using spoons to crush the wood in just bit, sort of increasing the angle of the bevel and giving you more throw.

wedoitall

Is your binding a physical one, surface bevels hitting each other? Or just tight hinges for whatever reason?
You might try removing the linkage and seeing if the elevator can move smoothly from full up to full down. If the bevels are hitting each other, you might be able to squish the wood a bit and get a few extra few degrees of throw. I've heard of some using spoons to crush the wood in just bit, sort of increasing the angle of the bevel and giving you more throw.

yea I think that's it. I tried the spoon methond last night but still getting some binding.