Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale ARF Build Threads' started by AKNick, Jul 16, 2019.

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

1. DLE35RA

8.2%
  2. DLE55RA

38.8%
  3. DA35

4.1%
  4. DA50

20.4%
  5. OS33

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ummmm yeah..... I'm going electric

16.3%
  7. EME35 But will you use the electric start version???

2.0%
  8. DA60

6.1%
  9. GP61

2.0%
  10. GP38

2.0%
  1. AKNick

AKNick 640cc Uber Pimp

Alaska
    Video! that only took 30hours to process in 2.7k.... enjoy!

Niels, -Rick-, Snoopy1 and 2 others like this.
  2. WMcNabb

WMcNabb 150cc

TN, USA
    Will make for great content during coffee this morning! Thanks Nick!!

AKNick likes this.
  3. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Great flying and great video really enjoyed it watched it twice and probably a few more times. The large front wheel do good job but there were a few shots of the Tailwheel really taking a beating. Thanks for doing that.

4. Really enjoyed everything about your vid.

5. AKNick

AKNick 640cc Uber Pimp

Alaska
    Thanks guys! @WMcNabb Enough time to grind your beans, boil water, French press, and enjoy a full cup LOL!
    @Snoopy1 Thank you! I've watched it so many times editing I was starting to get numb! But YES, that little wheel is getting a whoopin! I'm surprised the plastic hasn't broken, and the rudder hasn't had any impact damage from the wheel.... and that the OEM spring is still good - I've bent it back a couple times. It's just mesmerizing to see that 8.75" tire conforming to it's surroundings.
    @-Rick- THANKS!

WMcNabb and -Rick- like this.
  6. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    If my memory serves me you got the Tailwheel with three leafs and I got as many others only two leafs on the Tailwheel, that’s good you really need the three.

AKNick likes this.
  7. speaking of tailwheels, I have not acted yet, (waiting to see if I need tail weight or the CG point) But Ohio Superstars makes an unbreakable unbendable 1/3 scale unit including a 2 7/8" wheel, spring steel leaf springs, 6061 T6 casters, ball bearing, weighs 5 3/4 oz, has anyone weighed the stock gear? I don't have a scale. The holes don't line up, but he is willing to drill a hole for me before he tempers the steel because afterwards it would be nearly impossible with normal drill bits. I used to use his products exclusively on my 120cc 30 pound towplanes and never had a failure, bullet proof. Interestingly although a different layout the over all length and height are almost identical to the stock gear. 80 bucks. Note the clamp on the springs is just a keeper for shipping, there is a bolt hole there.

third+scale+tailwheel+1.png third+scale+tailwheel+3.png

Niels, -Rick-, AKNick and 2 others like this.
  8. AKNick

AKNick 640cc Uber Pimp

Alaska
    Looks nice! I wouldn't worry about weight in the tail. I have 6oz of weight in the tail as it is.

john Derstine likes this.
  9. servos arrived, I cheaped out and went with a Chinese brand. A lot of guys in Australia seem to be using them even on 30/40% aerobatic ships, hope they are ok. I won't be flogging this plane and it won't be getting a lot of air time so I think they suit my needs well. 50 bucks each Titanium and aluminum gears ,coreless motor, 2 bearings etc. Radio pictured is shipped today from Singapore should be in by weeks end. NoW I have some work to do Yeah!
    I'll post a review of the servos after I test them on the plane for centering etc.
    IMG-20210503-WA0000.jpg IMG20210503130555.jpg IMG20210503134142.jpg

-Rick- and WMcNabb like this.
  10. fun with wires today, got the wing harnesses fabricated, actually installed two wing servos without radio to see the geometry. using top hole in horn and a 1 3/4" spacing on a 2" arm seems to give 98% max throw or so. not sure how the geometry will work, I think that is ok, correct me if I'm not remembering correctly. seems the alignment is off so I'm splitting differences, won't know until I plug it in, detach the servo arm and get endpoints.

Attached Files:

-Rick-, pawnshopmike and Snoopy1 like this.