• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters
well mechanically it's done, and just waiting on a servo for the stab, everything else is programmed, wired and plumbed. Here are some pic of my final push. hope to run the engine tomorrow.
IMG20210523201721.jpg IMG20210525101739.jpg IMG20210525101936.jpg

The way a tail wheel should be done, except I had to drill two new holes closer in to accommodate the heavier shorter springs (took pic before I did this) plus some shots of the radio install. ignition module is under
the 2 white zip ties Nothing blew up when I plugged it in so that's good. Thanks to Nick for the basic idea on using AR ultraswitch and tech aero Ultra IBEC, and snoopy for the wing harness mounting idea.
IMG20210525101632.jpg IMG20210525110456.jpgIMG20210525110509.jpgIMG20210525110622.jpg

putting the batteries here allowed it to balance pretty near where it should, final placement will depend on what happens when I put on the wings tomorrow.
IMG20210523201520.jpg IMG20210525110536.jpg

don't know how that pic as an attachment wound up there as a duplicate.

Attachments

• IMG20210525110509.jpg
    IMG20210525110509.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Good work! :yesss:

Is that red poly fuel tubing in the tank with a ceramic clunk? Keep in mind that tubing (along with tygon) grows in in fuel, I would shorten it a 1/4-3/8" as it looks like there is very little clearance. A lot of guys are using Viton inside the tank these days including myself. Also FWIW- careful plugging that vent tube on a hot day with fuel vapor.
Those AR plugs look great.

Good work! :yesss:

Is that red poly fuel tubing in the tank with a ceramic clunk? Keep in mind that tubing (along with tygon) grows in in fuel, I would shorten it a 1/4-3/8" as it looks like there is very little clearance. A lot of guys are using Viton inside the tank these days including myself. Also FWIW- careful plugging that vent tube on a hot day with fuel vapor.
Those AR plugs look great.
Thanks, tank came plumbed, except for the clunk, not sure what the tubing is, don't know what Viton is, in my day tygon was all there was :) the clunk has about 1/4" minimum clearance to the back of the tank at any point, the clunk is heavy, I don't expect it will have a problem dragging the tubing around, the plug is only for transport purposes. Thanks for the heads up, second set of eyes is always good. Any comments are welcome. BTW, what is the average flight time with a 500ML tank? It is looking smallish to me,

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks, tank came plumbed, except for the clunk, not sure what the tubing is, don't know what Viton is, in my day tygon was all there was :) the clunk has about 1/4" minimum clearance to the back of the tank at any point, the clunk is heavy, I don't expect it will have a problem dragging the tubing around, the plug is only for transport purposes. Thanks for the heads up, second set of eyes is always good. Any comments are welcome. BTW, what is the average flight time with a 500ML tank? It is looking smallish to me,

Were always trying to help each other out - even if we already know the information! Better safe than sorry

Pretty sure it's poly tubing. It holds a grip very well and seals the best - but is a pain to have to remove and install sometimes. It expands the most out of the three types in fuel. Comes in blue, clear, red and transparent.
Viton is black/green/yellow opaque - dont mistaken for neoprene. It's flexible, doesnt expand in fuel, most tolerant, grips ok, will not break down/stiffin overtime. It can fold on itself when inside a tank easier.
Tygon - transparent yellow. Gets stiff overtime in fuel becoming brittle. Requires the most maintenance, but cheap. I like using tygon for my filler lines outside the tank.

500ml/17oz tank with the DLE55RA is well beyond 10min, pretty sure my last flight was 14min and still had a 1/4-1/3 tank. The plane is doesn't need the extra juice/throttle most of the time. Just depends on your flying style with the airplane.

Engine runs great, 3 flips after the pop, so easy, very impressed. couldn't run it long as I was in my small residential area, but i wanted to make sure I could start it before hauling it to the field for tuning and a little break in. nice little engine, throttle advances nicely out of the box. tail wheel fell off first thing and one of the microscopic E clips went into the ether. chintzy affair, will have to eventually deal with a replacement. I tied it down and had my 80 pound GF hold onto it as there was no room to put the wings on, she about blew away LOL. just waiting for a servo to get it going now.

far3f

New to GSN!
Hi, I recently start to use a Timber 110 for sport flying and aerotowing. I prefer to go electric so this is my setup:

Dualsky GA4000.7 180Kv
ESC Hobbywing FlyFun 110A HV V5 SBEC
Servos Dualsky DS8611 18kg.cm@7.4V (250oz.in@7.4V)
Propeller 22x10
Batteries 12s 4000 mAh
Flying weight 8.3kg (18.3lb)

Towing data:
Climb rate around 7 meters/second
50 seconds to reach 350 meters and 1200mAh of capacity used
Planes towed:
Salto H101 (4m and 6kg)
Ventus (4,8m and 8kg)
Both with similar values of capacity used and climb rate.

Here a video:

Regards.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Hi, I recently start to use a Timber 110 for sport flying and aerotowing. I prefer to go electric so this is my setup:

Dualsky GA4000.7 180Kv
ESC Hobbywing FlyFun 110A HV V5 SBEC
Servos Dualsky DS8611 18kg.cm@7.4V (250oz.in@7.4V)
Propeller 22x10
Batteries 12s 4000 mAh
Flying weight 8.3kg (18.3lb)

Towing data:
Climb rate around 7 meters/second
50 seconds to reach 350 meters and 1200mAh of capacity used
Planes towed:
Salto H101 (4m and 6kg)
Ventus (4,8m and 8kg)
Both with similar values of capacity used and climb rate.

Here a video:

Regards.

Very cool. Welcome to GSN. :welcome: