• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30% Pilot Carbon EDGE Build & Discussion

Lojik

70cc twin V2
that is a great color scheme...I'd really be interested to compare the all up weight of this airframe against the RedwingRC 30cc Extra 330.
Hi mate ill let you know when its done. More pics in my profile if you wanna see. Its running a vvrc40 twin.

bruceman

50cc
In previous threads within this post I have pretty much covered the build of the firewall and bulkhead. these next pictures show the beginning of the fuselage build. After the rudder tray was installed, flexing of the stock floor plate could be seen when the rudder servo was actuated to each end point at full speed. So I cut out the floor area where the rudder tray is located within 1/2" around the perimeter and made a new floor plate using 3/32" lite ply and laminated with carbon fiber. I also laminated a second piece of 3"32" lite ply directly underneath the rudder tray (not visible in the picture) to give the mounting screws a good bite. the rudder tray is now rock solid. The floor plate was secured inside the fuselage using tite bond wood glue. This panel is not removable. The floor panel install can be seen in the picture below.

photo 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceman

50cc
As you can see in the picture below, the visible areas of the canister tunnel were laminated using .25mm carbon fiber sheet. The floor of the fuselage between the end of the canister tunnel and the rudder tray also received a floor panel made from 1/16" lite ply laminated with .25mm carbon fiber. After the floor panels were installed, the visible side walls received panels made from 1/64" single layer lite ply covered with ultracote white trim. The fuselage top plate also was covered using the white trim. The whole idea here is to make the inside of the fuselage look finished, with no bare wood visible. Quite a difference when you compare the before and after pictures below.

photo 4.JPG P1016804.JPG

bruceman

50cc
A light weight balsa frame was fabricated around the back side of the wing tube socket and panels made from 1/64" single layer lite ply covered with white ultracote trim were installed. This covers the wing tube socket nicely. Blue plastic flex conduit was used to route all of the wiring running through the fuselage. The conduit runs all the way up to the underside of the panel that was built to mount the power panel. This cleans up the wiring nicely, with no visible wires running through the fuselage. The mounting of the throttle servo can also be seen in the pictures below.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

bruceman

50cc
The batteries (4) are Fromeco 7.4 volt lithium ion. These were installed on panels using battery mounts from servo city. O-rings are used on these mounts to secure the batteries and they work great. The panels were then mounted out of sight between the fuselage wall and the canister tunnel support wall. Look MA, "no batteries"
In the picture below, the battery trays can be seen mounted to the left and right of the fuel and smoke tanks.

photo.JPG View attachment 29488

bruceman

50cc
The power panel is mounted directly behind the bulkhead, above the area where the throttle servo is mounted. All wiring going to the power panel comes in from underneath the power panel. This panel is removable to allow access to the throttle servo, gas ./ smoke lines etc.

photo 1.JPG P2058246.JPG

P1016806.JPG

bruceman

50cc
in order to clean up the wiring through the fuselage, I needed a way to get power and signal to the aileron servos without having to plug them into the receiver directly every time I put the wings on. Taildragger RC was again the savior for this problem. They sell flush mount multiplex connectors that work great for this purpose. I routed the aileron servo wires through the blue flex conduit and terminated them at the power board on one end, and soldered the female multiplex half of the connector to the other end. This was installed in the fuselage wall on each side. The male half of the connector was soldered to the extension lead of the servo in each wing. This worked perfect! Now, when you put the wings on, or take them off, you simply plug them in or un-plug them! Taildragger also sells flush mount multiplex harnesses for those of you who have more than one servo per wing.

photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG