• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

well got excited to fast. The Monocote color is not really close to the orange of any of the painted surfaces. So it looks like another Horizon Hobby order is in the works.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
well got excited to fast. The Monocote color is not really close to the orange of any of the painted surfaces. So it looks like another Horizon Hobby order is in the works.
15% off storewide at horizon if you signed up on their email list tomorrow

I received my Ultracote from Horizon Hobby in the 10meter rolls. Defiantly worth it if you do not want any seams. The only bad thing is I really did not need a whole lot of it. But I have some extra now. Since the entire fuse was completely removed of all covering it would have been a great time to change up the scheme and if I really wanted to get into painting the cowl and canopy I would have. But I left good enough alone. The only real difference is I extended the silver strip on the top of the fuse all the way back to the rudder. I knew I would not get the seem as good as I want plus I always thought it would good with the stripe all the way back. I did get some help from fixedwing on giants because the rudder was giving me fits. I went through some covering and just could not figure out how to do it. He said since there is a sharp radius on the rudder I will have to section that first part. I really did not want to do that but who am I to argue. So after several attempts to install smaller pieces in the radius I finally got it. The picture was not the final strip but pretty close. what I ended up doing is tack one side and used my heat gun to get the Ultracote hot and really stretched it. Pulled it over the radius and several burns on my hands later got it to lay down. Then I finished up the turtle deck and ended with the fin. The concern I had with sectioning the covering was dirt and debris in the seams. Fixedwing said to use polyurethane on the seams to seal it and I wont have any issues. Well that was easy enough. Cannot even see the polyurethane. Turned out pretty good for my first fuse recover. I bought a Monocote trim cutter from Tower. I really am not overly impressed with that tool. I don't know if im using it wrong but cutting was not the greatest. if anyone has any better suggestions I am all ears. I have a friend that cuts vinyl so that may be a future option. So now I am waiting for a little more time before I order my MVVS 175. I am cleaning out my RE3's at work and that is not turning out well. I was hoping after a few weeks of sitting in a solvent tank. it has not touched the carbon. So I will have to get some of that dawn grill cleaner that I read about on the other site. I will not install the pipe mounts either until I get the engine and headers. I expect I will need to play around with the positioning so I will save that for later also.

I was glad I used hot glue for the bottom stringers. I broke a couple when I was working on the plane and broke some through the course of the year. So I decided to change that up. I used my heat gun to loosen the glue and remove the lower 4 stringers. I used a harder 1/4X1/4 stringer instead. Much stronger at the cost of 1 or 2 oz.

Attachments

• 20141203_183834.jpg
    20141203_183834.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 307
  • 20141203_183807.jpg
    20141203_183807.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 20141208_203920.jpg
    20141208_203920.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 20141208_203926.jpg
    20141208_203926.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 20141208_203944.jpg
    20141208_203944.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 287

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ah man..that is sweet looking. Damn hard to get a good look around that area. Looks like you been doin' it for years. :way_to_go: