• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I just "decommissioned" the Sukhoi I have been flying for over 3 years. Not a single piece of wood loose and no damage anywhere else other than a little wearing of the canopy where it rests under the cowl. This is after 1000+ flights with 3 different engines, most being with a piped DA170. I'm currently putting my NIB spare together to have something to fly while I strip and recover the original in my own scheme.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I just "decommissioned" the Sukhoi I have been flying for over 3 years. Not a single piece of wood loose and no damage anywhere else other than a little wearing of the canopy where it rests under the cowl. This is after 1000+ flights with 3 different engines, most being with a piped DA170. I'm currently putting my NIB spare together to have something to fly while I strip and recover the original in my own scheme.
Way cool.... You will do a "re-build" thread....right?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Got a couple of questions for you Robo... since your conversation setting are not allowing a conversation, is there an email or someway to contact you to ask your opinion on a few things? Thanks man......

James...you say you're going with the MVVS 175. What motor did you have on it that shook it apart so badly?
DA170. It was even sent back to them and nothing was found. I hear some are smooth and some are shakers. Maybe the later versions are better than the older that I have.

I started covering today and make a horrific discovery. One of the reasons I wanted to remove all the covering is to get rid of some of the covering joints that I had from some minor repairs over the summer. Well the covering is 6' and the fuse is 7' long. Totally negates the reason I stripped the covering. So it may be time for a slightly new scheme where the end joints are a different color.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
I started covering today and make a horrific discovery. One of the reasons I wanted to remove all the covering is to get rid of some of the covering joints that I had from some minor repairs over the summer. Well the covering is 6' and the fuse is 7' long. Totally negates the reason I stripped the covering. So it may be time for a slightly new scheme where the end joints are a different color.
Doh!

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Doesn't Ultra-cote have 25' rolls? May be worth a call. I know you really don't want any joints on the bottom. I chased loose covering for 2 years after I tore the covering on the bottom and patched it. You could use one piece to cover the pipe tunnel then another to finish to the back, putting the back piece on first. It would suck to have a seam though after you go through all the trouble of recovering.

When I recover mine I am going to try Monocote first. I think it has a better finish and seems to be a little tougher. I haven't used it since I built a Super Sportster 60 back in 2002 and I hear they changed the formula and it makes it harder to get stuck down. I know it comes in 25' rolls though.

Last edited:
Doesn't Ultra-cote have 25' rolls? May be worth a call. I know you really don't want any joints on the bottom. I chased loose covering for 2 years after I tore the covering on the bottom and patched it. You could use one piece to cover the pipe tunnel then another to finish to the back, putting the back piece on first. It would suck to have a seam though after you go through all the trouble of recovering.

When I recover mine I am going to try Monocote first. I think it has a better finish and seems to be a little tougher. I haven't used it since I built a Super Sportster 60 back in 2002 and I hear they changed the formula and it makes it harder to get stuck down. I know it comes in 25' rolls though.

It is good news again. I looked last night for the 25' rolls at tower and horizon with no luck. However I paid a visit to my good friend Tom at TNTlanding gear and he had orange Monocote in a 25' roll. He is able to order me in a 24' roll of crème Monocote. He said the part number was not a Tower number but a Great planes number and not likely able to order from Tower. So I am back in business.:brian-banana: I appreciate the information you provided though.:first_place: