• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
DA170 vs 3W-170.................. As much as I love my 3W-106 I'm noticing 1 lb difference between the 2 engines (170's). That's a big difference. My 3w-106 weight forced me to shift batteries back as far as possible on my 100cc Yak.

David

So, there is a thread on this forum about header tanks or vent tanks (maybe both). And it was brought up about having a smaller tank to catch fuel from the vent line. I for one get irritated about fuel getting on the fuse after every flight. Tried different methods with the vent line but it seems to never work. Im thinking with IMAC flying with the number of snaps, rolling maneuvers, inverted stuff,etc the vent does not get a break. So I went over to see Tom at TNTLanding gear and purchased a 2oz fuel tank. With a weight of under an ounce I think it is worth a try. The lower line is for the pick up on the bottom of the tank. It should siphon any fuel in there back into the tank. The vent is terminated in the center of the tank and should hopefully not pick up any fuel. The down side is during filling I will need to look through the canopy to find out when the tank if full.

Attachments

• 20150117_142617.jpg
    20150117_142617.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 306
  • 20150117_144658.jpg
    20150117_144658.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 265

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So I put three more flights on the Sukhoi today. She is one fine example of a rock solid and incredible plane. Only problem I have with it so far, The GP Evo 176 has way more power than I was expecting it to have. After my final flight today, I made a judgement call and decided the 176 is out and something with just a little less ponies will take it's place. I've never had a plane this big "rocket" straight up like an electric foamie. The GP is obliterating my Falcon 32x11 at anything over half throttle. Just as badly as the 3w 32x8-14.

I have been thinking of changing up my landing gear to something a little lighter. I like the weight of carbon fiber but never really been a big fan as on crack could put you out of flying for a contest. And to me they are a little to stiff. So decided to call up Tom at TNTLanding gear and have him make me up a gear. He bent one up for me and milled it to lighten it up some. There is definitely a weight savings on his gears. There may be some more flex to it than the stock gear but I think I should be ok. This plane lands easy. He wants me to test it out for him and let him know what I think. He can do several different things to his gears to lighten them up or just keep them unmilled. Looking forward to this experiment has rumor has it Graphtec may not be an option in the future. I did end up cleaning up the gear and painting it orange like the stock gear.

Attachments

• 20150304_173114.jpg
    20150304_173114.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 20150304_173150.jpg
    20150304_173150.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 246

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Finally unboxed mine after more than a year of sitting on a shelf. I found a complete DA 170, headers, pipes, prop, etc package at a good price and pulled the trigger. Interestingly enough the package came from a Sukhoi. It is enroute and time to get started. Tackled a few small things then ran into the rudder assembly. While it only took me 20 minutes or so it is not an easy task, someone should have come up with a better design there.

Was worried after a year about damage but the plane is flawless out of the box.

David

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Finally unboxed mine after more than a year of sitting on a shelf. I found a complete DA 170, headers, pipes, prop, etc package at a good price and pulled the trigger. Interestingly enough the package came from a Sukhoi. It is enroute and time to get started. Tackled a few small things then ran into the rudder assembly. While it only took me 20 minutes or so it is not an easy task, someone should have come up with a better design there.

Was worried after a year about damage but the plane is flawless out of the box.

David
Yay.....Good to hear you are going to get going on this awesome bird. Keep the build thread going David. I am really excited for you.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Thanks Stangflyer. Engine package is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
I think you are really going to like how this airframe goes together. There is no guess work. There is no "working" this, or "working" that to get it right. One of the nicest things I discovered with mine that I am sure everyone that owns one is it is so easy to keep everything neat, clean and tidy in the fuse. It has ample room for anything you want to toss in there. Including the body of an ex wife is you so desire. LOL.

I love my Sukhoi. I now have just shy of 4 gallons through the GP Evo 176. It seems to really be coming around and waking up quite nicely. I did change out the Smooth Pipes for a different set up on the exhaust though. There is absolutely no doubt the 176 makes Gorilla strength power with them, but just not really liking the way the throttle was responding. I put KS 90's on and so far I am really liking the smoother transition, more linear throttle and it seems to be more balanced through the full range of gas pedal input. I will say however, I lost about 600 rpm by changing out the pipes. But seriously, at 6600 static, it was completely shredding the Falcon 32x11. Now it is turning right at 6000 static and will still rip the prop WOT, but now it is much more efficient.

I am really looking forward to seeing yours come together. Bring it on!!!!