Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

    We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

    Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by TonyHallo, Jan 5, 2019.

  1. Did a little lathe work tonight. Going to put the first hub cap I made a while ago in the prototype bucket, this one is much better, I bought 1" long disc this time around and it worked out better because the part was held better and I learned from the mistakes made on the first one. I started with 1/2" long disc before. The tire is still holding air so I'm happy with it now. Pretty sure two Monoeject tubes of Slime was excessive but it's too late now. Orange paint tomorrow, if all goes well can begin the final assembly.
    IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
     
    -Rick-, AKNick, Snoopy1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Beautiful job brother. :big_yes:
     
  3. It's always better the second time around! Thanks Mike.
    Put a coat of base yellow on the numbers and around the tape on the fuselage to minimize bleed through. Didn't do the Aeronca emblem or the numbers on the rubber because they are rather small and was worried about excessive buildup. They will get dusted only, no wet coat.

    IMG_1355.JPG
     
    pawnshopmike likes this.
  4. Got the orange sprayed and some tape pulled off.
    IMG_1356.JPG
     
  5. The fuselage and right wing. There are a few bleeds that will require some work, pretty sure I can clean with rubbing compound. There's only one on the fuselage but the wing has more since are so many angle joints. All in all I'm happy.
    Didn't get to the left wing, the paint was drying and not pulling cleanly so I thought I better wait.
    IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1360.JPG
     
    AKNick, -Rick-, dhal22 and 3 others like this.
  6. WMcNabb

    WMcNabb 150cc

    1,793
    3,595
    113
    TN, USA
    Looks AWESOME!!!
     
  7. dhal22

    dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

    Beautiful!
     
  8. Nice work!
     
  9. Thank you gentlemen.
    The paint masks worked great, again a learning experience. The numbers were rather easy to remove the masks, the emblem on the other hand was a little tricky. Some of the paint pulled off on the right side so I left the left side dry for two days, then rubbed out the top of the mask with fast cut compound until the mask color appeared, then I remove the mask without a problem. Managed to get the right side emblem cleaned off, thankfully I order 4 masks so it is mask off will get painted later today. IMG_1363.JPG
     
    WMcNabb and pawnshopmike like this.
  10. Installed the dash, the original aluminum dash panel tucked under the boot cowl and the cowl was rolled over to finish the edge, I had planned paint the dash and the boot cowl with flat black paint. The dash from SAC is a little less than 1/8" thick so I need to finish off this area with another plan. Make a template out of SeeTemp of the area that needs covered then transfer this to a black vinyl sheet that was previous purchased to make seats. I left the edge on the dash side a 1/4" long and folded this over while the template was taped in place, the fold was set with an iron set at 190f, then glued with contact cement. IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
     
    WMcNabb and pawnshopmike like this.
Loading...

Share This Page