• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Rob.....How the hell did you get that canopy line PERFECT!? Most other ARF's dweeb out and paint the whole thing. But you managed to do it even better than Pilot!
Thanks Kelly. Not terribly difficult. First cut the "arch" that will overlap the canopy, in the same arc as the front lip of the canopy. Next, lay the arch of the covering on top of the lip giving yourself at least an eighth of an inch overlap. Use your "trim" tool on low heat starting in the middle of the canopy lip. Ultracote adheres really quick to painted plastic, so it really doesn't take much to get it in place. Low heat with the trim tool all along the lip. Turn heat to high and gently heat/push the covering into place on the balsa sheeted hatch. Once you have an inch bordering the lip of the canopy, you can now go to your covering iron. I set mine at about medium heat and use my heat gun to lay the rest of the hatch.

I'm appreciative of your kind words Kelly. Just keep in mind...YOU'RE DOING MY NEXT RECOVER JOB. LOL

I'm now absolutely positive I want to cover another Pilot canopy / hatch, NEVER! Although it came out good, I now have a massive migraine. Lol.View attachment 48592 View attachment 48593 View attachment 48594I also added a "selfie" bling to the cockpit panel.
View attachment 48595
So my friends, I'm just too anxious to wait. How about a couple of teasers?
View attachment 48596 View attachment 48597
From what it was, to this...
View attachment 48598
All that is left is to freshen up the Red Aero pilot bust. And then...? And then the beautiful multiple red head installation.
WOW! Just Beautiful!:yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
WOW! Just Beautiful!:yesss:
Awe...thanks my friend. Actually without the constant prodding and support of all you awesome fellow enthusiasts, I wouldn't have been so diligent in this project. So truthfully the thanks goes out to all of you who have been an influence and so faithfully followed along this restore. Hang in there..best is yet to come.