• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% PA-28 Cherokee Build

I think I might have to open up the bottom of the fuse on the Cub I'm building for better cooling. Will you shorten up the cowl a bit?

TonyHallo

150cc
I plan to make the rear edge of the a raised lip to create low pressure zone. Will also add a sloped plate where the hole is so it will look white from below.
Made the cooling ducts for the cylinders today. The foam was band sawed out and covered with packing tape, will see how much trouble I have getting the foam out. These will be mounted to the firewall and cover about 70% of the cylinders.

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 139

TonyHallo

150cc
Made the trip to the Central Penn Aeromodelers Swap Meet yesterday. The event is held in Lebanon PA about 3 1/2 hours away. Of course it started snowing the night before and snowed the entire trip out. Roads were clear on the way home but winds were up to 50 mph. Found an old roll of Sky Blue Monokote still in the wrapper. The instruction sheet was brown print not the colorful sheet that there now. Will see if the formula has changed as some say.
Worked on the engine cooling today. Heated a 1/4" rod with a propane torch and melted out most of the form. Then picked the tape off. I had attached the glass cloth to the form with contact cement so it took a little effort to remove all the tape. Marked the firewall where the ducts land an next I need to cut the openings. Should be fun since the firewall is 3/8" thick. The carburetor will need to be removed to insert the engine through the firewall.

IMG_2012.jpg
IMG_2014.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Thank you Steven.
Decided to put in 2 back braces to restore some rigidity to the firewall after cutting the hole for cooling and intake manifold clearance. Used 5/8" x 3/4" maple motor mount stock for the braces, these are screwed and epoxied in place on each side of the carburetor. Also laid up some glass angle that will form a "sneak by" baffle between the two ducts. Time to start thinking about linkage.
Ordered new receivers for the plane, FrSky SR10 stabilized receiver (10 PWM channels, two XT 30 input plugs), a R8 as the redundant receiver, 2 RPM sensors for temperature monitoring, and two 15 amp Zepus switches.

IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2019.jpg

Last edited:

-Rick-

100cc
FrSky SR10 stabilized receiver. Do you like these? I have never had much luck with these. I have two SRx's from FrSky and had a very hard time setting them up.

-Rick-

100cc
I tried with my radio on Open TX. I had to use two three position switches to make them work, very confusing. I only have them now in my small foam planes. I use aura 8's in my gas planes now.