• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
My opinion is that they are good for wet sanding and dry sanding fiberglass. I used the 1/2 sheet dry on wing skins and they turned out wavy. It's really hard to beat the hard sanding bars we have for balsa.

TonyHallo

150cc
Completed wet sanding with 220, just a few spots need filler, the final primer coats will take care of the other low spots. Laying out for the windows and vertical fin. The windows will be cast into the plug along with the right side door. With this in mind, these areas will be masked off before the final primer coat. The bottom of the windows are parallel to the line of thrust so that will help setting up the fuselage after it comes out of the mold. Been studying photos of the doors.

IMG_2968 (2).jpg
IMG_2967.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Used a template made from the plans and several photos to lay out the windows and doorway. Then the window for the door was masked off and the adjacent area was primed. Weather forecast for Saturday is 55 f, hope to get the final coats of primer on.
IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I was going to post there but their file size is a real pain. I need to resize all my photos to post there. Thank you for your comment though.

Got the vertical fin on and the remaining windows and door laid out. Used fast cure West Systems epoxy so hopefully later to day I can fill the joint around the fin with SuperFil. The door is an odd shape for sure and I spent a lot of time studying photos and the small three view that I have.
Prime tomorrow.
IMG_2975.jpg
IMG_2974.jpg

233467313234-0__86760.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
The weather was good today. Have a little more work to do on the vertical fin however. Mounted and waxed the plug for the tail cone, put a couple coats of PVA on it too. Will start the mold in the morning. Started thinking about the horizontal stabalator an how it will be made, thinking about molding skins with corrugations and gluing the skins to foam ribs built in a jig, possibly including the servo tab.

IMG_2982.jpg
IMG_2983.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Thanks Steven.
Didn't care for the door so made a few changes to the radius on the window and bottom of door. Working on the corrugations on the vertical fin. On several of the ends the router bit must have whipped a bit making an odd shaped end point. Now that several coats of primer are on the fin, the grooves are smaller than the 5/16" router bit groove so I'm using a 1/4" dowel as a sanding buck. To repair the ends, a radius was put and the end of a short piece of 1/4" aluminum round bar, this was coated with Vasoline, a dollop on SuperFil placed in the groove and the aluminum rod was pushed against end of the groove until it stopped, this was left in place until the SuperFil cured, this was sanded flush after cured. I tried several methods but works the best. The corrugations are far from perfect but good enough. Have a few layers of glass on the tail cone mold. Working is several areas along with stripping the fabric off the Champ wings, what a pain that is removing all the screws.

IMG_2987.jpg
IMG_2989.jpg