• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

89" SkyWing Laser 260 V2 Assembly Thread

WMcNabb

150cc
Posted my Baffles on Thingiverse! Now anyone who has a printer can download and make my design for themselves! (Here ya go @anaign !)

My only request is that you send/post pics of your printed part to me/here/thingiverse so I can see them in use to bring me some joy. If you are beyond ecstatic that you're not paying someone $40-60 for a set of custom 3DP baffles, feel free to send me a paypal tip for what ever amount you have set in your heart - No demands here. If you'd like a set printed in PLA - I can make that happen for you. If you'd like to make them for someone else, I'd ask you contact me first as the creative copyright claim is non-commercial use.

The updates I've made to the original green baffles that I made include lettering, thinned and cleaned up CAD, small hexagonal tapered and extruded indentations on the inner flange to act like small barbs for the glue. All of this resulted in a faster print time by an overall 30 min. The downside is during that process the walls are not completely even and you'll see some strange indentations. . . it's not your printer... its my doing. The baffles come in at 1.45oz combined.

When you install them, note that the fiberglass cowling when molded creates some irregularities eg: fiber lay up that sticks up higher as well as excess resin. You'll need to trim that stuff down a bit. The other thing to note, is you'll want a bit of clearance from the cylinder fins, as PLA, PTEG, ABS, HTPLA will all warp if heated at some point above 200F - especially considering how thin these are. I'm not sure how much clearance is needed at this time. Print with 100% infill. Green PLA is KCamel, Blue Winter HTPLA is Proto-Pasta.

Without Further Ado:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4708584

View attachment 116658View attachment 116660View attachment 116661View attachment 116659View attachment 116657 View attachment 116662 View attachment 116663

Very nice!!

anaign

New to GSN!
Very nice!!
Hello Nick,
Thank you very much for the Baffles, today I printed a prototype as a test 3d, it looks very good. I have to wait until the motor is here to then print the final version made of heat-resistant pla.
I also sent you a donation
best regards Andreas
20210104_212142.jpg
20210104_212238.jpg

20210104_180329.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Hello Nick,
Thank you very much for the Baffles, today I printed a prototype as a test 3d, it looks very good. I have to wait until the motor is here to then print the final version made of heat-resistant pla.
best regards Andreas
View attachment 116668 View attachment 116669
View attachment 116667

WOHOOOOO!!! Looks great! How did everything line mesh up for you? Note the little bow incorporated on the outboard side where the fiberglass overlaps - was that helpful for you as well? Makes me happy to see my design in action! Thanks for the tip too!

WMcNabb

150cc
Hello Nick,
best regards Andreas
View attachment 116668 View attachment 116669
View attachment 116667

WOHOOOOO!!! Looks great! How did everything line mesh up for you? Note the little bow incorporated on the outboard side where the fiberglass overlaps - was that helpful for you as well? Makes me happy to see my design in action! Thanks for the tip too!

One of the things I really enjoy about his site and the modeling community. Always learning and sharing ideas.
Great work Nick and Andreas!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
This thread isn’t dead!

I’ve been lacking weather and time to run the GP76. Today I got that time!

Got it running well enough for a flight, all systems check good. Just need to install my baffles and vent the lower cowl a bit. Never ran a canister before and it definitely takes the twap out of the exhaust noise and a considerable reduction in the high notes. I took some video, we’ll see if I have anything to make out of it. Excited to take her up.

8D25F38B-0B15-467B-99F4-2C72ED3F1FC5.jpeg
93191666-08C0-4228-91BB-BABDD9935497.jpeg
E4C7F2DF-7468-495D-94C1-E0A8788C6A6A.jpeg

WMcNabb

150cc
This thread isn’t dead!

I’ve been lacking weather and time to run the GP76. Today I got that time!

Got it running well enough for a flight, all systems check good. Just need to install my baffles and vent the lower cowl a bit. Never ran a canister before and it definitely takes the twap out of the exhaust noise and a considerable reduction in the high notes. I took some video, we’ll see if I have anything to make out of it. Excited to take her up.

View attachment 117623 View attachment 117624 View attachment 117625

You have a nice fleet!
Saw this one at the show last weekend. Once good looking ARF!!

AA28F264-C5FC-44DC-A55B-0689CC7E0CA5.jpeg

Attachments

• 87DA66B2-403B-47FB-81AC-9E141A16567D.jpeg
    87DA66B2-403B-47FB-81AC-9E141A16567D.jpeg
    683.3 KB · Views: 380
  • 075D90EC-7E7F-4C05-BB33-972C6F430B87.jpeg
    075D90EC-7E7F-4C05-BB33-972C6F430B87.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 401

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Very Cool! I like that tail insignia too ;) @pawnshopmike
I've never been into logo graphics on my airplanes, just scale stuff mostly. The colors are really nice on this bird. I don't trust the blue metallic stuff when it comes to longevity.
BTW that Pilot Slick looks like a nice ARF as well!!

For the baffles, I've been toying with the idea of using my 3DPrinted Baffles as templates/molds for carbon fiber baffles.

OlleG

New to GSN!
Hi

I have just bought the same plane so this is a very interesting thread for me. Very good job you have done.
I am curious if you have done any adjustments to the angles the firewall is delivered with? And also when you have tried it, if you consider the right/up/down thrust as correct.

What is the final total weight?

/OlleG

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Hi

I have just bought the same plane so this is a very interesting thread for me. Very good job you have done.
I am curious if you have done any adjustments to the angles the firewall is delivered with? And also when you have tried it, if you consider the right/up/down thrust as correct.

What is the final total weight?

/OlleG

Thanks for the kind words! And welcome to GSN!

I have not flown the plane yet due to winter not allowing my flying spot to open up. I don’t foresee any issues with the stock thrust angles. I have yet to weigh the plane.