• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MOJO 65 w/20cc Build

Alky6

150cc
Question:
What are ya'lls thoughts on gluing in the sheer webs? The instructions suggest poly glue on the sheer webs. I have typically used thin CA. What is the conventional wisdom on this?
Thanks in advance!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Question:
What are ya'lls thoughts on gluing in the sheer webs? The instructions suggest poly glue on the sheer webs. I have typically used thin CA. What is the conventional wisdom on this?
Thanks in advance!
My personal preference is medium CA. I have tried thin before but because it saturates so quickly, I've always been afraid (and quite possibly nothing to be worried about) a complete bond of the sheer webs and spars would not be as strong as if medium was used. Granted it requires a few more seconds of holding them in place. However once the medium has set, literally impossible to remove them and I've not had any come free in the past. That's just my .02 cents worth.

Alky6

150cc
My personal preference is medium CA. I have tried thin before but because it saturates so quickly, I've always been afraid (and quite possibly nothing to be worried about) a complete bond of the sheer webs and spars would not be as strong as if medium was used. Granted it requires a few more seconds of holding them in place. However once the medium has set, literally impossible to remove them and I've not had any come free in the past. That's just my .02 cents worth.
Thanks Rob. Appreciate the feedback.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That looking good and coming along nicely. One question I have a ARF profile plane and enjoy it for what it is. But never built one have a question. Why would you not make the fuselage just a little wider so that receiver and the battery's would fit in the fuselage.
Yes I do like the way they have mounted the servo that is slick and effective.

kwj48

70cc twin V2
That looking good and coming along nicely. One question I have a ARF profile plane and enjoy it for what it is. But never built one have a question. Why would you not make the fuselage just a little wider so that receiver and the battery's would fit in the fuselage.

If positioned carefully you can put the rx on the fuse. I made a small tray at the opening for the wing and where the root rib has an opening. If using a satellite rx I use a longer wire harness and put it in somewhere in the fuse before covering.

Alky6

150cc
Haven't considered widening the fuse that much. Only my second profile, first was a Mojo25 (36" wingspan and 1/4" thick fuse). Would be worried about adding more weight. For now just following along with the standard build to learn. Have some ideas to change construction type of the fuse on the next one. Really enjoy building.

Alky6

150cc
If positioned carefully you can put the rx on the fuse. I made a small tray at the opening for the wing and where the root rib has an opening. If using a satellite rx I use a longer wire harness and put it in somewhere in the fuse before covering.
Some good ideas there!

BalsaDust

I used to use medium ca to glue sheer webs but it was advised to me to not use ca at all but rather use wood glue there. With ca there is more of a chance of it popping free in a hard load.

Like Kenny said no need to make fuse wide. In a 40 size slab the wing will normally be one piece and glued permanently in place and on ones with revomavable wings just glue in a tray for the receiver where the wires pass between the fuse for the wing. I will take a pic when I get home of my receiver mounted in my 55cc edge profile.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I used to use medium ca to glue sheer webs but it was advised to me to not use ca at all but rather use wood glue there. With ca there is more of a chance of it popping free in a hard load.

Like Kenny said no need to make fuse wide. In a 40 size slab the wing will normally be one piece and glued permanently in place and on ones with revomavable wings just glue in a tray for the receiver where the wires pass between the fuse for the wing. I will take a pic when I get home of my receiver mounted in my 55cc edge profile.

I agree if wings stay on then widening the fuselage has no point. But I have a profile plane I need to remove the wings some times and that is painful.