• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% PA-28 Cherokee Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Looks like both of those planes hit the tail skid, the small photo has damage. I may add the a tail skid to mine. Here are a few views that may help in the redesign if decide to go forward. My build is more standoff scale and will hopefully become an everyday flyer.
As far as the engine size my intent was to over power so it will fly at a low power and give a scale like exhaust note, or that is the plan. My previous plane was overpowered and the throttle was set to 60% open at full throttle, even though it was 2 stroke it did sound good in the air. Pretty sure this one will sound better.
2020-04-17_165248_Post_Best_3_view_w-bulkheads.jpg
2974 Piper PA28 2.jpg

Last edited:
The former itself was found on E-Bay of all places. I hadn't noticed the bent skid. Looks to me it had been used as a tie down and the wind tried to swing the tail. Not a good practice. That owner probably let the wind bang the control surfaces back and forth too.

I have both 3 views. The first I have in vector and have been able to get blow ups of it to the same scale as the WH plans. However, notice how it shows straight sides on all the formers? That's not right. The sides behind the cabin are slightly curved. The WH plans have the right idea but I think they have too much. Especially the cabin sides as they are flatter than the rest. Yeah! I've turned real anal about this project.

The second 3 view is more accurate with the sides. But the problem is blowing it up to a decent size without having lines a foot wide. I've not yet mastered the computer skills required to correct this. And at 69 years of age I doubt I ever will.

TonyHallo

150cc
Ordered graphics from Aerographics, they make logos for full scale planes and can reduce the size for our models. The white Piper logo will go on behind the rear window and the chrome Cherokee 140 logo will go on the cowl after painting, might put it on before the clear coat. If you are doing a scale build check them out. This is the third plane that I used them on.

IMG_2135.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Tony, have you ran your Roto yet?
I have a Roto 85 in the Champ, six or seven flights no problem, have not ran the 85 for the Cherokee yet. Here's the first run on the Champ 85. Swinging a 26 x 8 Falcon prop. I bought a second one so that should say something? I would recommend installing this catch can as the crankcase vent does make a mess, it may get better with time.

How did you find a vector drawing? Another question, where did you find the info on the info on the original model?
The drawing I found on line somehow. I may have the url but will have to look for it. Basically some guy drew it up and put it out there for free. However on his drawing all the sides are straight. Still, once printed it makes a decent reference.

The info? I contacted WH directly and they put me in touch with the guy who built the prototype, the one you see in the pictures. He gave me all the info.

Ordered graphics from Aerographics, they make logos for full scale planes and can reduce the size for our models. The white Piper logo will go on behind the rear window and the chrome Cherokee 140 logo will go on the cowl after painting, might put it on before the clear coat. If you are doing a scale build check them out. This is the third plane that I used them on.

View attachment 119785

I'll have to keep them in mind. I've dealt with Callie Graphics in the past and she does good work. But these guys should have all the right colors right at hand.