• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

Mikeq

150cc
stangflyer said  I more than likely (reluctantly) will post information on them on that "other" site just so those that are not here consistently yet, will have a chance to get in on them. Thank you Doug and Mike for pushing me to post over there. 
Don't be a Benedict Arnold...tell them to come over here...don't advertise over there.
dejection.png
frown-new.png

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Mikeq said
stangflyer said  I more than likely (reluctantly) will post information on them on that "other" site just so those that are not here consistently yet, will have a chance to get in on them. Thank you Doug and Mike for pushing me to post over there. 

Don't be a Benedict Arnold...tell them to come over here...don't advertise over there.
dejection.png
frown-new.png

I like that idea.... Thanks. 
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Mikeq

150cc
You do what you want but after hearing what he (********** ) did to Sleepy I want nothing to do with him or his products...that guy is absolutely a callous cold blooded snake... I have his Real Flight simulator... the best simulator on the market and I haven't the stomach to turn it on.... been thinking about uninstalling it and getting a Phoenix.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So the compression springs arrived today. Cute little buggers.... I decided there is no time like the present to get the Sukhoi tail gear steering set up. I did not like the springs that were supplied with the plane and after the issues I've had with the 260, I wanted something a little more elaborate and a whole lot more dependable. Plus, I wanted it to look nice. 

Actually fairly inexpensive and quite easy to do. (2) J&J Tailwheels compression springs, (2) Sullivan Golden Rod yellow tubes, (1) 2/56 pull-pull cable hardware package. (4) 2/56 ball links and hardware, (1) quality high torque metal gear servo. (In this case, Hitec HS-5665MH High Speed High Voltage Metal Gear), (4) wooden control horn spacers from the ailerons and elevators when the plane was shipped. That's about it.

I drilled two holes in the rear of the fuse at a 70 degree angle to get the right positioning started. Once the initial hole was started, I reduced that angle to about 40 degrees so that the yellow tubes would go through the holes and travel through the fuse at the right angle I wanted. Once holes were drilled through, cables were inserted from rear of fuse, glued with CA just to hold them from floating and I was able to put the tail gear and fairing back in place. The 2/56 pull-pull cable was then run through the tubes up through the middle of the fuse to where the servo would be mounted. The rest was easy peazy. Made a servo box tray and mounted it to the middle aft portion of the radio compartment in the middle of the fuse. Glued in the left over wooden spacers from the control horns from the ailerons and elevators at just the right location for tube support. Installed a test servo as the actual servo for this setup will not arrive until tomorrow, but I wanted to get it set up and then all I have to do is install the servo when it arrives and set it up on my radio. I have set it up on a separate channel on my radio slaved to the rudder. That way I can adjust EPA's, speed and direction of operation without messing up the rudder servo settings. Once everything was all in place and set up...I checked actual operation. It looks cool and it works great. A little work, but hey....The Sukhoi is worth it. Of course while I was at the rear of the fuse, I decided to do the same with it as I did with the 260. I sealed the hinge line on the rudder. I mean after all, the ailerons and elevators are sealed and it's not like I am going to be taking the rudder off right?

Now on to the next step.... Oh yeah, motor time and exhaust time. LOL
20141027_121518.jpg

20141027_121527.jpg

20141027_121601.jpg

20141027_121626.jpg

20141027_121714.jpg

20141027_121726.jpg

20141027_121749.jpg

20141027_121802.jpg

20141027_121813.jpg

20141027_121820.jpg

Mikeq

150cc
So you got the cables bending through the Sullivan tubes kind of like a indirect throttle setup...I like what you did and I bet it'll work good. I might give that a try myself on my next plane..

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Mikeq said
So you got the cables bending through the Sullivan tubes kind of like a indirect throttle setup...I like what you did and I bet it'll work good. I might give that a try myself on my next plane..
Yup....cables slide nice and easy through the tubes. We all know what it is like when we get a brand new toy, right? Ya just gotta play with it. This thing is pretty slick.... I can adjust as much or as little steering as I want without affecting the rudder. I think I am really going to like this.

Mikeq

150cc
Just be careful and not reverse your servos..be funny seeing you rudder angled for a left turn and the plane turns right...LOL